What Sound Decoder plug-n-play To put in A 2-8-0

Started by donaff6, January 02, 2008, 07:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

donaff6

ok I posted Yester Day But no one got back to me I Hope I Can Make this easy this Time I Got A Baldwin Outside Frame 2-8-0 N0# 25961 
would like to know what SoundTraxx Decoder For fast and easy install I was looking at SoundTraxx  DSD-101LC 820112 MEDIUM STEAM has The 8  pin NMRA Plug  Can i just pull the old one And install the new one?
If Any one Has put Sound in Let me know I have read all the Stuff on http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com And Found theres Got to be a easyer way ?

solg

I used a Tsunami w.  a JST wire harness from tony at Tonys Trains. tony can give you the skinny on how to make it work. very simple actually. SOL G

donaff6

Thanks SOL G I Was Hopping To Go On The Cheep  But I call Tony See What he Thinks  How Do you Like the Tsunami ?
Thanks Don 

Tomcat

Don,
I used the Tsunami Medium Steam and on another 2-8-0, the DRGW C-Class which fits (in my eyes, em´ ..ears) the little Consolidation very well.
I did solder on a harness which I still had from older conversions.

Even if you cut off the Bachmann decoder´s harness, the color code is always the same, get some shrink tubing over the soldered bits and the work´s done easily.

Didn´t know that Tsunamis come with already attached harness...?

Kind regards, Tom

solg

I like the Tsunami a lot. My Tsunami did not have a wire harness, but it did have a JST plug on the other end of the loose wires  that plugs into the JST socket of the Tsunami. Simply (verry carefully) remove aprox ..125 inch of the Tsunami's shrink wrap (enough to expose the plug and then gently pry out the plug and replace with a JST to 8 pin harness that will now simply plug into where the original decoder . this will also work  with the SoundTrax LC series decoder

finderskeepers

I used a tsunami medium steam on my 2-8-0, as I was not using the cheap bachmann decoder for any further purpose, I cut off the 8 pin plug, attached the leads from the tsunami decoder, soldered and shrink wrapped the joints and plugged her in. Runs like a top now. Was actually able to set up the tsunami to give exactly 4 exhaust beats per driver revolution on the auto chuff, so the cam wasn't even necessary. The speaker came from Grizzly mountain engineering, and is siliconed in place. there are no baffles or enclosures, the tender is not even sealed, the sound is amazing. The Decoder sits up in the oil bunker on mine. I didn't follow Harold Minkwitz' how to article, as everything operated as intended without any further modifications.