News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

GP40 Brake (Compressor) and Wheel Sounds

Started by CamaroRich, June 03, 2023, 12:32:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CamaroRich

Hi,

I am new here, and pretty new to model railroading.

I recently purchased a DCC w/sound Bachmann GP40 CSX Item # 66307.  I noticed that when the engine slows down or stops, there are no braking sounds or squealing wheels.  Are those sounds not available on this sound decoder?  If they are included, what CV do I change (just learned how to do that) in order to turn them on.  The only time I get any brake sound (compressor) is When I hit the emergency brake on my NCE Power Cab.

Thanks in Advance!

trainman203

I'm pretty sure that the decoder in that locomotive is one called "Sound Valu", an economy concept used by Bachmann for a few years.  Production costs were reduced by eliminating all but the barest minimum of sounds necessary to basic operation.

This is the CV list.  You'll find no braking sounds.

https://soundtraxx.com/content/Reference/Factory-Installed/Bachmann/SoundValue/bachmann_ho_gp40_sv.pdf

The sound valu steam decoder is even more stripped down and frustrating to someone like me who has a lot of cab time in steam locomotives.  One of them I will keep , the one in a Mikado I have, that has two beautiful whistles that the manufacturer has dropped from their library.

It appears that Bachmann may no longer be using these decoders, in favor of a better Soundtraxx one called the Econami.

Yard Master

Hi Rich,

As noted above the 66307 CSX GP40 uses a simplified Soundtraxx Sound Value decoder. If you are comfortable doing so, you could swap out the factory installed decoder board for a full feature decoder with more sounds and CV options.

Bachmann is indeed transitioning to using the Econami decoder package in our HO Sound Value brand locomotives, starting with models shipping in 2023. Item #66307 was first shipped in 2022 before this change was made; there will be a transition period as we sell out of the "legacy" Sound Value decoders and we upgrade each model to Econami decoders, in partnership with Soundtraxx.

Desert Rose

The SoundTraxx TSU-BH1 Tsunami 2 EDM Digital Sound Decoder. .........P.N. 885840 EDM Diesel (drop-in decoder) fits in the FA-2, FB-2, S-4, E7-A, F-7, SD70ACe, ES44AC, GP30, GP38-2, GP40, GP7, RS-3, and SD40-2. Is a Full function decoder for Bachman sound value upgrades. see link, SD40-2 shown, same for GP40. The SD40-2 shows the CV123 PRIME MOVER SELECT (EMD 645 TURBO) = 5. The GP40'S PRIME MOVER SELECT (EDM 645) = 4. CV198 = 4 AUTO-BRAKE.

https://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,38200.0.html

CamaroRich

Quote from: Yard Master on June 05, 2023, 10:14:37 AMHi Rich,

As noted above the 66307 CSX GP40 uses a simplified Soundtraxx Sound Value decoder. If you are comfortable doing so, you could swap out the factory installed decoder board for a full feature decoder with more sounds and CV options.

Bachmann is indeed transitioning to using the Econami decoder package in our HO Sound Value brand locomotives, starting with models shipping in 2023. Item #66307 was first shipped in 2022 before this change was made; there will be a transition period as we sell out of the "legacy" Sound Value decoders and we upgrade each model to Econami decoders, in partnership with Soundtraxx.

Thanks all!