News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann GP35 problems

Started by rondon47, June 05, 2023, 01:17:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rondon47

I have an older Bachmann GP35, DCC on Board, with the vertically split frame.  The loco goes about 5 or 6 feet, then stops for a couple seconds.  When it stops, the headlight goes out.  Then the loco starts up again and a couple seconds later the headlight comes back on.  This happens often going around the layout. I've reprogrammed a couple times but doesn't seem to make any difference.  Question is, is this a mechanical problem or electrical?  Maybe bad connection or bad decoder?

Desert Rose

1.) clean your track, they have a hard time getting power on dirty track and wheels. Use a Mr. Clean MagicEraser(found in your kitchen) with denatured alcohol.

trainman203

And clean the wheels too.  Run the engine up one truck at a time on a paper towel slightly moistened with the alcohol, spin the wheels, and watch the black crud come off.

HO trains don't have the weight to overcome track and wheel oxidation and dirt like the old Lionel and American Flyer trains did. This cleaning will be a permanent periodic task in your Model Railroad life.

jward

When you tried reprogramming did you by chance reset the deceleration rate (CV4)? If not, try increasing the value until your locomotive runs smoothly. I've run into this problem with similar DCC OnBoard locomotives, usually when heading downgrade with a train. Adjusting the deceleration rate so they coast a little seems to cure the problem.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA