I just bought some used HO engines.

Started by John Coffey, June 10, 2023, 03:58:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Coffey

Is there an easy way to tell if they are DCC equipped?

Len

If you have a DC power pack put them on a track and turn the power up. If you have to apply 5V before they even start moving, more than likely they have decoder installed.

The only sure way to know is to remove the shell and see if there's a decoder installed.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

trainman203

Please report how many of these engines actually run.  Used model railroad locomotives are the ultimate "pig in a poke."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pig_in_a_poke

Verily, verily, I say unto thee. Bewarest thou of the used model railroad locomotive.  Knowest thou not of the indignities and sufferings it has suffered, be it having been run to the ground, or used as a weapon against a younger sibling. Knowest thou also not of any hidden terminal internal injuries that may. exist.  Spendeth thee wisely thy earthly treasure, on known quality, therefore avoiding weeping, wailing,  and gnashing of teeth.

jward

If you are currently using DCC, lace the locomotive on the track. If it makes a high pitched squeal on DCC powered track, it is a DC locomotive.Make sure you don't let it sit and squeal for too long, as that can damage the motor.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Ralph S

From my experience, if the locomotive is labeled "DCC ready" it may or may not have a "dummy plug" installed to allow DC operation.  If the Locomotive is labeled "DCC installed" then of course it's DCC compliant.

What I don't know is if there is no "dummy plug" installed where the decoder should be, will the locomotive still operate on DC.  In other words, the location where the decoder (8, 12 or 22 pin) should be is empty will the locomotive still operate in DC?

This might help in determining the setup of the engine (locomotive) you have.

Len

For DC operation of a "DCC Ready" loco, jumpers are needed to connect the rail pickups, pins 4 & 8, to the motor leads, pins 1 & 5, of an 8-pin socket. Commercially available jumpers/dummy plugs may also connect front and rear lights. This is typical:

Len

If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Ralph S

QuoteIs there an easy way to tell if they are DCC equipped?

That's one of the good issues that I like about Bachmann.  If the locomotive is DCC, Bachmann stamps on the bottom of the fuel tank "DCC on board" indicating that the locomotive has DCC.   

jward

Quote from: Ralph S on June 29, 2023, 01:15:22 PM
QuoteIs there an easy way to tell if they are DCC equipped?

That's one of the good issues that I like about Bachmann.  If the locomotive is DCC, Bachmann stamps on the bottom of the fuel tank "DCC on board" indicating that the locomotive has DCC.   

Teh only problem with that is that somebody may have added their own decoder to a non DCC unit. I've done this numerous times.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA