News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Plans for future streamliners?

Started by aceofspades, June 13, 2023, 11:01:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aceofspades

It's no secret that the J and Gs-4 are some of the best models, and I see there's also a streamlined K4 in N scale. With many more famous streamlined steam engines that are ripe for using in a layout, could we expect another one coming soon? An easy choice would be the Hiawatha Atlantics, though since there's already a K4 in N scale, I see that as the most likely product.

the Bach-man

Dear Ace,
I'll pass along your request.
Thanks!
the Bach-man

trainman203

What about a T&NO Sunbeam?

Or any of these Frisco engines. 

https://thelibrary.org/lochist/frisco/friscoline/streamline1.cfm

Especially the 1066.

Len

How about a NC&StL 4-8-4 "Dixie"?

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

trainman203

MAN.  I can't believe that I forgot about the "DIXIE."

The crews on the NC&StL called them that because they refused to call them "Northerns."

😂😂😂

trainman203

I really like these semi-streamlined steam engines that don't try to hide the fact that they are steam engines.  The Dixie, the Daylight, and the 1066 are great examples.

Len

I have a few NC&StL early diesels and rolling stock for my layout. But the only HO "Dixie's" I've seen are all brass models prices well out of my budget range.

Len

Tenwheeler01

I cast my vote for the Frisco streamlined steamers.  1066 would be the perfect addition to my Frisco engine house. Of course there will not be any complaints if they where to make and 1026 or 1018.   

Then we would also need the matching passenger cars.   

trainman203

Len, I came to the conclusion quite sometime ago that I don't want brass steam engines.  I haven't heard of one yet that didn't need remotoring and re-gearing to be a decent performer in an operations setting.

Bachmann broke the Model Railroad glass ceiling with their spectrum consolidation 30 years ago. They figured out that model steam engines didn't need to be brass to be well detailed, could be made to run as smoothly as the motor would permit, and could be made affordable as well.

Len

That's why I'd like to see Bachmann do a "Dixie". Aside from the operational issues, the brass "Dixie's" I've seen are priced well out of my budget limits.

Len

trainman203

And will be even more so after you purchase a can motor and re-gearing stuff needed to make it run right. And if you are a craftsman of the same quality that I am, paying somebody skilled to put all of that in correctly, so it actually runs.

😱😂

Ralph S

I'm glad you all like steamers, cause to me, they all look like a hot water tank on wheels. ;)  ;D

trainman203

Yeah, and diesels look like rolling shoeboxes.  😱😂🥱

I remember what an old steam engineer said, when he retired upon the rival of diesels.  " if I wanted to drive a street car, I'd work for the city. 

Another old head went to work in the mid-1950s and found a diesel where his steam engine had been the day before. He got up in the cab, then got down, walked to the office, and retired on the spot.  😂

I don't recall any Railroaders feeling that dedicated to diesel engines.

Ralph S

Quote...I don't recall any Railroaders feeling that dedicated to diesel engines.
Well..., may I add that you just found one.  I love diesels, never worked on any, but worked around them from nuclear plants, power stations, to salt mines, long haulers, construction equipment and ships.  To me, there're magnificent pieces of equipment (with the exception of car/pickup trucks).   
From 8 cylinders to 32 cylinder engines.  They may probably support global warming, but I expect to be pushing daisies before the world removes them.

If I got my history correct, the shoebox design came from the steamers cab layout.
So, please add 1 railroader to your new list of railroaders dedicated to diesel engines.  8)  :)

trainman203

Were you a locomotive engineer?  That's the guys I'm talking about.  The guys who loved their engines so much that they left the railroad along with the steam engines.