News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Replacing wheels

Started by BrownCountyModelTrains, June 26, 2023, 09:26:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrownCountyModelTrains

I own a model train store and I am a dealer for Bachmann. I run 3 trains everyday on my layout, all HO, the Jingle Bell Express, Rail Chief, and McKinley Explorer. I have been running all 3 trains off and on 5 days a week for over a year and I want to replace all the wheels on the rolling stock to get nice new sharp "nibs". Should I use the 36" wheel sets item 42903 or 33" wheel sets item 42904? Thanks.

jward

As a general rule, 33" wheels fit freight cars and 36" wheels fit passenger cars. I know from experience the freight cars you are running, including the cabooses and the tender on your steam locomotive, will take the 33" wheels.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Ralph S

Good info.
...But what are the 31-inch wheels for and what do they normally fit.  Way back when I was younger, I brought these 31-inch wheels (still in their unlabeled package) to place on my train cars (they are metal wheels).  I bought them thinking they were the freight car versions along with 36-inch wheels also. 

jward

If I'm not mistaken those fit the old AHM/IHC/RIvarossi passenger cars.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Len

Jeff nailed it. To use 36" wheels on those old AHM/IHC/Reivarossi cars you have two options. Carve the brake shoes off the original plastic trucks, or completely replace the trucks with ones that accept 36" wheels.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

trainman203

Another place you could use 31" wheels is to replace wheels on cars whose couplers ride a little too high.  They won't lower the car a whole lot, but in some cases it might be enough to help.  It is a lot easier than trying to raise the coupler pocket, and cheaper than using upshot couplers that you have to buy when you already have the wheels in the house.j

BrownCountyModelTrains