STORE
"ASK THE BACH MAN"
FORUM
PARTS, SERVICE,
& INFORMATION
CATALOGS AND
BROCHURES

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 03, 2022, 01:26:21 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Check out the photo gallery link above or >click here< to see photos of recently announced products!
+  Bachmann Message Board
|-+  Discussion Boards
| |-+  Large
| | |-+  Bachmann 4-4-0/2-6-0 Gear Replacement - a Photo Essay
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Bachmann 4-4-0/2-6-0 Gear Replacement - a Photo Essay  (Read 986 times)
Fred2179

View Profile
« on: January 13, 2022, 10:02:17 AM »

My pal Tim has sent several 4-4-0s my way in the last few months, plus there was a 2-6-0 in the mix as well. All had bad axle gears, so Iíve had a bit of practice on the replacement of the gears. Today it took just 30 minutes - though Tim had removed the chassis for me so I didnít have to worry about bodywork. He also bought the replacement axle gear from Bachmann, and he asked me to take photos so he could do the next one.

So here goes. Place on a towel upside down to protect everything. First the rods come off with a small socket or pliers (sockets do less damage if they slip!)

The wheel hub comes off with a small screwdriver, revealing the wheel attachment screw:

Finally, the bottom plate retains the wheel bearing blocks in the frame. The chuff trigger in the back makes it difficult to remove, so be gentle, and note that it wonít come all the way off.

So, with the wheels unscrewed and pulled off the axles and the rods removed, the bearings can be lifted out and laid at the side. Watch for the tiny springs underneath - you might remove them and safely store them as they are bound to fall out. (I used an old towel, so they didnít fall very far.)
Now the motor is loose and will lift up out of the frame. Carefully slide the eccentrics and valve gear off the axle and wrap it with painters tape to keep it all together. Donít move them too much - it is possible to let the piece that slides in the curved slot fall out when it is at one particular angle.

There are 6 screws on the gearbox - 2 at the back and 4 at the front. Carefully remove them and pry the gearbox apart over the axles, and admire the cracked/broken gear.

Insert the new axle instead of the old, and start reassembly in the reverse order. Be careful to
 -   make sure the springs are back under the axle bearing blocks,
 -   make sure the same axle block is on the side it came from (hence the suggestion you place them at the side of the frame. The wires on top collect power from the wheels.)
 -   jiggle the eccentrics (small black plastic disks) in the valve gear to make them fit snug against the gearbox. The circles in the ends of the valve rods go over the black disks.
 -  use loctite on the screws to make sure they stay in place. On this loco they were all a bit easy to remove.

Then ease the wheels back on, checking the rod pivots are aligned the same as the rear wheels so that the rods will fit. Keep screwing things together and youíll be done in no time.

The final check is to apply power to the wheels or the contacts on top of the chassis to make sure that everything works as it should.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 10:07:21 AM by Fred2179 » Logged
Mark Oles

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2022, 10:48:15 AM »

Perfect timing! I have new gears to put in my 4-4-0! I did a complete tear down when I repainted mine a few years ago! Question: do I need to remove the chassis to do this repair or can I simply pull the wheels off, remove rods and basically keep the rest of the loco intact?  I like the towel idea, too. Typically, I use a piece of 1" thick foam, which does the same thing basically.
Fred2179

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2022, 12:18:47 PM »

Perfect timing! I have new gears to put in my 4-4-0! I did a complete tear down when I repainted mine a few years ago! Question: do I need to remove the chassis to do this repair or can I simply pull the wheels off, remove rods and basically keep the rest of the loco intact?  I like the towel idea, too. Typically, I use a piece of 1" thick foam, which does the same thing basically.

You do not need to remove the chassis to complete this repair. Just protect/remove the whistle on the steam dome.

Loco Bill provided detailed written instructions:
https://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,19904.0.html
The only thing that changed is that the Bachmann part is now available and the NWSL gears may not be, as the business changed hands.
Loco Bill Canelos

Model railroading since 1947

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2022, 10:19:52 AM »

Hi All,

A big thanks to Fred for posting the instructions and the great photos.   In the instructions I wrote for the F.A.Q. I had big trouble with the pictures, so this is a great addition.   I have added this link to the those instructions so members will have the best information available. 

Again thanks Fred!!!

Bill

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!
ScottyB

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2022, 10:40:32 PM »

I've been wanting to do mine for a while. I have the NWSL 24 tooth gear on hand, but I've read the 2-6-0 may be a 25 tooth gear?

I suppose I'll take it apart to be sure. I'm replacing the gear in Bachmann model #81491.

Which one is being used here?

Thanks!
Scott

On30 for me, HO... nope now it's an N scale layout for my two kids!
Loco Bill Canelos

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2022, 07:53:39 AM »

Hi Scotty, 

Yes it is a 25 tooth gear, but Bachmann does have a replacement axle with the gear installed at a reasonable price and it it is in stock!

Check out this link:
https://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=69_145&products_id=4833

You can order it with confidence it is correct.  have fun with the project

Loco Bill

ScottyB

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2022, 12:46:19 PM »

Thank you. Would you recommend that over the NWSL 25 tooth gear?

Loco Bill Canelos

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2022, 08:11:35 AM »

Yes, I have used them myself, and you don't even have to press the new gear on to the old shaft like you would with the NWSL gear.

Bill

ScottyB

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2022, 10:18:13 AM »

Thanks for the help. I got mine replaced. I must have had the old version as the nwsl gear was an exact match. It was a pain to get on the axle but I used the slight gap in my bandsaw for support and lightly tapped the axle through the gear. It's not going anywhere!

Put her back together (that took a while to get exactly right) and she runs beautifully!

Only hiccup was I'm left with two identical small washers, roughly 1/4" OD. No idea where they came from. I didn't remove them into a parts box. Just all of a sudden, there they were. No clue. I've looked over everything. I'm content leaving it for another day!

Scott

Loco Bill Canelos

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2022, 02:07:57 AM »

Good going Scotty, Glad you got it done! Bill

Fred2179

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2022, 04:58:24 PM »

I'm left with two identical small washers, roughly 1/4" OD
There are washers adjacent to the eccentrics that drive the valve gear, and they are usually still clinging to the eccentrics as they should have plenty of oil/grease on them.  But they are 6mm ID and relatively large - not 1/4".
crangdahl@earthlink.net

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2022, 04:15:40 PM »

I know this questions has probably been asked a hundred times, but I've not seen an answer.  Why was the 4-40 discontinued?
Loco Bill Canelos

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2022, 01:09:56 PM »

Hi,

It was first produced in 2000-2001,  It took awhile to get them sold.  In spite of that they came back in 2007 and ran a few more.  Eventually those sold  out as well. Overall they were not great sellers.  So far they have not decided to make anymore, thus discontinued!    If you cam give me the Bachmann Number on the box I can probably tell you weather the one you have is the older or newer version.  If you don't have the box describe the lettering road number and I will try to let you know what you have. As for parts, look at them all and buy what you think you might need, because once they are sold out there will not be anymore. 

Have fun with the loco. 

Loco Bill

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: