News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EZ Streets For HO trolleys

Started by wanblo@comcast.net, July 04, 2023, 11:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wanblo@comcast.net

I model streetcars in O gauge and HO.  For many years I have been using the EZ Street track system for O gauge trolleys and have been very satisfied with the format.  Has Bachmann ever considered developing EZ street products for HO gauge?  In the 50's and 60's TYCO marketed a track system called "The Old Strap Hanger" that included a single truck trolley similar to the Spectrum Birney cars, and an oval of gray plastic street track with brass HO rail.  Unfortunately the TYCO track sections were never sold separately and there were no special track work items like switches or crossovers.  Given Bachmann's expertise with regards to O gauge EZ product it seems like a no brainer for HO.

the Bach-man

I will certainly pass along your request!
Thanks!

Len

Shapeways is offering concrete and cobblestone street sections for trolleys. Add your own rail.

https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace?type=product&q=HO+Trolley+Track

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jward

I was going to mention this. Also for those who like the complex trackwork often found at city intersections, FastTracks makes jigs for a 9" radius streetcar switch.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

trainman203

9" radius.  Next thing, someone's going to ask if they can get their centennial diesel or big boy around that.

😂😂😂

Terry Toenges

For a while, I have been contemplating having a trolley on my Christmas Main Street.
The Shapeways pieces are nice but $19.98 for a concrete 12" straight is kind of steep for a piece of plastic. $21.72 for cobblestone. $130.32 for  6' of straight. I like it because it is narrow.
I know the guy has to recoup the cost of his machine and material.
Feel like a Mogul.

jward

Quote from: trainman203 on July 09, 2023, 08:14:05 PM9" radius.  Next thing, someone's going to ask if they can get their centennial diesel or big boy around that.

😂😂😂

I've never understood that mentality. "I'm going to buy the biggest, baddest locomotive I can find. But I have no room for a layout so I'll use the smallest radius curves I can find. Why won't my train work?"
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

trainman203

It's because with the passing of time and the generalized passage of the railroad out of public awareness, there's no practical public knowledge of Railroading anymore.  The most overdone steam engine model is the big boy. And every beginner kid I've ever seen wants a huge engine, but wants to run it on train set track.  A few years ago Bachmann offered the B&O huge mama-jama 2-8-8-4 and all we saw for a couple of years on the forum was, why can't that engine get around my train set track.

Len

This got to be a real issue with returns at the retail store my repair shop was located with. So I built an HO "death spiral" using various manufacturers track to show potentional buyers what curves the locos they were eyeing would, and wouldn't, get around. I have to admit to being surprised how far in some of the old Tyco/Mantua pancake motor diesals went.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

trainman203

trainman203

Where do you think that the Bachmann EM-1 would give out?  The centennial diesel?

Or, the Bachmann Schnabel car from a few years ago?

I have a 22 inch radius curve on one end of my layout. The other is 28 inches radius. My largest locomotive is a light USRA 4-8-2 and it does OK around the 22 inch curve, though there is a bit of "hangover" that just doesn't look right.

What will not make it around is a 70 foot baggage car I have by another manufacturer. When the trucks rotate on the curve, the inside wheels rub the underframe. I also have two Bachmann 70 foot heavy weight combine and two heavy weight 70 foot coaches. They get around the curve fine but they just don't look right. 

These cars and some Roundhouse 80 foot palace cars I have used to run in our now-gone club layout, but are now basically homeless, they're just too big for my layout at home, and I know it.