News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Question on wiring of Bachmann Train

Started by arthur2321, July 10, 2023, 04:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arthur2321

Hello I am currently working on a project with a CLICK PLC, start and stop pushbuttons, and was wondering if the Bachmann Trains - Chattanooga Ready To Run 155 Piece Electric Train Set - HO Scale wiring had a ground to the cable that connects from the train to the speed controller. Or if the ground was being done within the speed controller itself. I am running into an issue where the train can run, but when ran for longer than 10 seconds will keep running regardless if the start pushbutton is not pressed and will not stop when pressing the stop pushbutton. The only way to stop this process is disconnecting the power altogether. Another issue is when running for extended period of time of 30 seconds the train will start to smoke (aka burning components which is not good). The CLICK PLC takes in 24VDC from the power and is then transferred to a DC to DC converter which converts the 24VDC into 12VDC. I was wondering if anyone can help me on this? Please let me know if any additional information is needed.

jward

It sounds like the components in your control circuit are overheating. Are they rated at a high enough amperage to handle the current draw of the train?

If pushbutton start and stop is what you're after, it would have been much cheaper to use appropriately rated (3 amp or more) pushbuttons and a relay.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

arthur2321

That was indeed the case for the train set. I needed a higher amperage power supply to run the train set.