How to replace broken knuckle coupler

Started by Daleexlibris, July 12, 2023, 07:26:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daleexlibris

Can someone point me to a video that shows how to replace a knuckle coupler on a Bachman engine HO. The broken one is stuck in there and I can't figure out how to remove it. Can't find it on YouTube. I am a total novice.

trainman203

Diesel?  Steam?  What model?  You haven't given us much to go on.

You could search you tube for "repair broken coupler on engine XYZ." But I suspect that one is not there.  With the actual locomotive identification, we can point you to the parts drawings for it online.

trainman203

What if he has a steam engine?  The pilot and tender couplers are different.

The OP ought to be able to see a screw that is evident. If he has to ask this question, it's probably not this simple. We really need to know what engine he has to properly answer this question.

trainman203

That's for plastic couplers.    Metal couplers operate more smoothly and don't break.  What is the recommended Kadee coupler?  I understand the pilot coupler is a special unique case. If you don't use plastic couplers, what is the recommendation for that location.

trainman203

Dummy couplers on steam engine pilots completely destroy their usefulness for anything beyond forward motion pulling a Train.

The pilot couplers on my moguls all had trip pins.  But then, I bought them many years ago.

I despise plastic couplers in any form, but I leave them on the pilots of my Bachmann steam engines because Bachmann made the pilot coupler pocket too shallow to properly accept  a Kadee coupler without some kind of modification.  The tender coupler pockets are good for Kadees, though.