News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2 questions for Bach Man

Started by thoepf, January 04, 2008, 08:40:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thoepf

Am new to this hobby and am looking for a steam locomotive that will pull at least 40 cars on a flat layout.  Track is nickel silver EZ with 33 1/4" radius curves.  Cars are weighted as from the manufacturer,  I have a 4-8-4 Bachman UP loco from the Northern Overland Limited train set and it will pull between 25 and 30 but then loses its grip and spins the wheels.  Also, what would you rate the quality level of AHM and Marklin locomotives as compared to the Spectrum line of locomotives.  I would appreciate any advice or suggestions concerning these two questions.  TH

SteamGene

For a 40 car train on the flat try:
Bachmann USRA heavy Mountain
Rivarossi C&O H8
BLI N&W Class A
BLI C&O Class T1
Proto 2000 USRA heavy Santa Fe
IHC generic Santa Fe
The BLI USRA Mikados might do it, also. 
Merry Eleventh Day of Christmas
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

hotrainlover

I suggest the Lionel 4-6-6-4 Challenger, or the Lionel Gas Turbine Veranda; these  will easily pull you train....

hotrainlover

THB-DAVE

To pull more cars use a engine with traction tires, AHM  engines are very low quality and Marklin locomotives are AC and will not operate on your DC set.

Dave

grumpy

Definitely use an Athern Genesis with DCC and sound.
Don

the Bach-man

Dear TH,
There you go- as many opinions as there are posters. What road are you modeling?
Have fun!
the Bach-man

r.cprmier

I will now horn in...
A no-nonsense heavy utility steam era bridge line across the face of Mid New England, from Portsmouth New Hampshire to Schenectedy, New York.  Now if I can get Ron from rail Graphics to do the "Old Man" pic with the road slogan, that would be pretty neat.  Ayuppp!

Rich

Boss, resident genus, CEO, CFO, cheif cook and bottle washer of the:

PORTSMOUTH TERMINAL AND HOOSIC RAILROAD CO.

Stand back; those "ugly sisters" are moving freight!  BIG freight!
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

thoepf

Thank you all for your gentle wisdom and guidance!  Am not reaaly modeling any RR with the degree of accuracy and attention to detail that I have seen posted on this site.  I would just like to run 3 separate rails around the walls of a large room at a shelf height of about 7 1/2 to 8 feet.  The outside rail will be a Santa Fe F7 passenger train, the middle one will be a UP steamer pulling a 35 to 40 car consist of different types, and the inside one will be 3 various Santa Fe diesels dragging a 50+ car consist of various freight car types.  My whole thought was just to make it fun.  Was hoping to find one steamer that could pull at least 40 cars to illustrate how much more powerful they were than the earlier diesels.  GO OHIO STATE BUCKEYES!

Terry Toenges

While not in your era, a Bachmann Old Time 4-4-0 will do it.
Feel like a Mogul.

TonyD

1st off, 40 cars is +20 feet of train, 30 odd inch radius or not, you are going to have as many hangups as the real RR's do with long trains without midtrain units or pushers. When you find an engine that will pull it, it won't last long. 2nd.issue- 8 feet off the floor? 3 tracks deep? My top level is 5 feet, and you can only see a train while standing, almost never when sitting on a bar stool. You MIGHT see a train on the first track if it is close enough to the edge, but your 1st derailment will be your last..... 
don't be a tourist, be a traveler. don't be a forumite, be a modeler