News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New to steam engines

Started by 4311wade, July 29, 2023, 01:33:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4311wade

Team,
Is there any way to adjust the "coasting" amount on my Bachmann steam engine? When I bring the throttle to stop it keeps moving forward and in reverse. I bought it second hand and it's done it from day 1.
Please advise.
Thanks,
Stephen

4311wade

Hey,
Apologies it's a Bachmann 51205 HO 2-10-4 steam loco DCC Santa Fe#5034

4311wade

I've never had it open and assume it's all original.
Could it be a function setting?

4311wade

Thanks for your time and responses.
I appreciate it.

trainman203

Are you running that engine on DCC? That particular engine was never offered with Direct Command control as far as I know.  But it's acting like it has DCC momentum sent too high. If you are running it on DCC, reset CV three (acceleration momentum) to 50 and CV four (deceleration momentum) to 35 and see if you like it better.

If it's doing this behavior on DC, I don't have an answer. Other than possibly your power source throttle is defective when decelerating.  Try the engine on another layout and see if it acts the same and report back.

ModelRailwayFan38

I've never owned a Bachmann sound locomotive, but on most models CV 8 and 9 control that.

jward

Quote from: ModelRailwayFan38 on August 05, 2023, 10:48:38 PMI've never owned a Bachmann sound locomotive, but on most models CV 8 and 9 control that.

Neither of those CVs control momentum. CV8 is the factory default reset CV, and CV9 apparently controls the PWM, not something the average modeller is going to want to tinker with.

CV3 controls acceleration, and CV4 controls deceleration.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

trainman203

Still need to find out if he's running on DC, or since it's a second hand engine, one with DCC decoder installed and momentum CVs set wrong.

4311wade

Team,
Apologies for the late reply.
My layout is DCC EZ track with EZ command controller.
I use both DCC turnouts and regular 12-volt turnouts and a Bachmann 5-amp booster.
I don't believe I can wright to decoders with the EZ command controller.
Is it possible with the Dynamis controller?
Thanks

trainman203

Since you have DCC, as I suspected from your initial comments, it is almost certain that CV 4 deceleration is set way too high, lowering the engine to coast into eternity. I know, I've tried it.

I don't know what decoder is in your engine but I understand that CV 3 for momentum acceleration and CV 4 for momentum deceleration are pretty standard across decoders, possibly set by the NMRA in the past.  You need to look into your decoder manuals see which CVs actually control these functions.  I've been setting these momentum CVs in Soundtraxx decoders for a very long time now and I get great results with CV3 set around 50 and CV 4 set around 35.  Try those values and see if you like them, and you can go up and down five or 10 increments at a time to see if if you like it better.

Unfortunately, the EZ command is not capable of manipulation of CV values.  If you are going to go very far on a Model Railroad journey, I would consider acquiring a more advanced system with not only more power but the ability to enter the wonderful world of CV value customization. You can still use the EZ command to power accessories.

Let us know which decoder is in your engine if you can find out.

4311wade

Thanks for your help. I truly appreciate it.
The Bachmann box the Steam engine came in says DCC on board.
I bought it second hand off the internet from an auction site I frequent.

trainman203

I never knew that engine came with DCC on board, I thought it pre-dated that.  The decoder is almost certainly a Soundtraxx product, with CVs3 and 4 as discussed above.

Get thee immediately to a layout with an advanced DCC command station, and fix the CV's.

4311wade

Awesome!
Thank you!
I'm currently pricing new equipment after being in the hobby for a little over a year.