HO Bachmann Greyhound 4-8-4 DCC Sound Install

Started by En-TACT, August 10, 2023, 01:22:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

En-TACT

I have a Bachmann 4-8-4 Bluebox with standard factory DCC; it's detailed and repainted in Greyhound scheme.  I purchased the TCS WSK-BAC-3 kit and it fits onto a custom mount inside the oil tender.  I removed Bachmann's DCC and need help with soldering the wires to TCS' decoder, any guided documentation?

trainman203

If it was me, I'd have a professional tech put it in. For 100 bucks or whatever, you'll know it's right, you won't burn the decoder up by doing something wrong, and you won't put the soldering iron through the tender shell when you slip trying to hold three things at once.

From what I understand, Bachmann doesn't use the NMRA wiring color-code for DCC. That means that you probably have to backfeed every wire to see which one is the headlight, which one is the motor, etc. etc. 

Some people love doing miniaturized electronics and wiring but it's just not for me. I have a bunch of steam engines, all with professionally installed DCC and sound. I know it has cost a fair amount of money, but the heartache and heartburn factor has been zero. I've only got so much longer to live, and I'd rather be running my engines instead of wiring stuff.

En-TACT

Yes, that's the challenge, Bachmann does not use NMRA wiring color-code. 

After sleeping on it, I think I'm going to strip their PCB board and solder new ones by the code.  I'll have to trace each one with a multimeter.