News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann 2-6-6-2

Started by MC, January 04, 2008, 10:52:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MC

Does anyone own a Bachmann Spectrum series 2-6-6-2? I am looking at purchasing one and would like to know more about the Tsunami sound technology. The info says it operates on both DC & DCC. My layout is DCC powered and I was wondering if it would be good investment.
Thanks,
MC

SteamGene

I have three Bachmann USRA light mallets.  One has a Tsunami, one has an MRC, one is waiting to be modified. 
Merry Eleventh Day of Christmas
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

MC

Gene,
Are light mallets 2-6-6-2?
MC

Atlantic Central

MC,

As to your question to Gene, yes they are one in the same.

I also have three of these locos, but I do not use DCC. All of mine are good runners as well.

Sheldon

r.cprmier

I own two, and a Mantua 2-6-6-2 that get run.  I have Tsunami sound in all three, and am very happy.  Once I find some time, I want to fool around with the CVs a bit and see how personal" I can make each engine.

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

ta152h0

you can make them really personable by chaqnging the starting volatge and deceleration rates. They can become your very own Dennis the Menace.

SteamGene

I think that Rich referred to the sounds of the various locomotives.  A USRA light Mallet would not sound like a small logging Mallet, for openers.  Individual steam locomotives often sounded just a bit different from their sisters.  What's that line in CASEY JONES about the sound of the whistle told knowing llisteners that "...the man at the throttle was Casey Jones!"
Merry Eleventh Day of Christmas.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

MC

Rich has two, Gene and Sheldon have three and I am trying to justify one. Must be nice.
Thanks for the advice guys. I will order "one" today.
MC

Atlantic Central

MC,

Didn't you get the memo, steam locomotives should be bought in groups of two or more? Just kidding.

But I will explain the thinking of having several of the same type. The real railroads did not just have one or two this and one or two of that, unless they where very small (like the Ma & Pa for example). They had fleets of these things, 25 of this one, 60 of that one, 100 of the next one.

So, to capture that fleet feeling many of us buy two, three, five or more of the same type rather than one each of everything that comes along on the model market.

For example I have:

6 Bachmann 4-8-2 Heavy
3 Bachmann 2-6-6-2
5 Bachmann 2-8-0
2 Bachmann 4-6-0
2 Proto 2-8-8-2
2 Athearn 2-8-2

and with diesels its even worse, BUT

I do not have ANY of:

PRR K4, N&W "J", UP Big Boy, UP Challenger, SP Cab Forward, or lots of other locos that are on the market that many people "collect". I am not a train collector, I am a modeler and to create the model illusion that I am striving for on my layout I only buy models that fit the theme I have decided on.

If I "collected" everything I like or everything that the manufacturers make, I could not afford to have three 2-6-6-2's, but the cost of the average Big Boy is more than I spent on all three of my 2-6-6-2's (I shop around for the deals).

Have fun and best of luck,

Sheldon

MC

Sheldon,
Thanks for the input. I will share it with the BOSS. I am sure she will understand now why,,,,,, I must order them in pairs.
Sounds like you have a nice layout. I am just getting back into the Hobby after a 30 year break. Most of my older stuff is Diesels and back then I just bought what I liked without any thought of how it went together. This time around I am trying to keep it all C & O Steam from the mid to late 40's and early 50's so some of my Diesels with fit in with this era.
I would love to see some pictures of you layout if they are available.
Thanks again for you help and have a great day.
MC

SteamGene

MC,
My layout is a private road with the C&O having trackage rights over it.  I have C&O steam running later than what really happened, at least in Virginia, but the justification is th cost saving by using the VT&P to go from Gordonsville, Virginia, to some of their West Virginia branch lines quicker.   I totally agree with Sheldon. 
I have 0-6-0, 0-8-0, 2-8-0, 2-8-2, 2-8-4, 2-10-2, 2-10-4, 2-6-6-2, 2-6-6-6, 4-6-2, 4-6-4, and 4-8-2 in steam and GP-7 and SW-9 in diesel.  All of them are in at least pairs and a total of three railroads: Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont (mine), C&O, and Milwaukee Road.  If somebody comes out with a C&O J3, like I've heard rumored, I will at 4-8-4.  The same thing will happen if I find a Road S-1.
Like Sheldon, I have no need for a N&W J, a cab forward, a Challenger, a Big Boy, a PRR K4 or a NYC Hudson.
Mersry Twelvth Day of Christmas.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Atlantic Central

MC,

My layout is currently in a rebuilding phase, and I do not have any means to post pictures at this point, but thanks for the interest. When I get the rebuilt layout to the scenery phase, our local group does have a WEB page where some pictures could appear.

Even though my railroad is freelanced, I stick to a pretty rigid period and locale. I buy VERY VERY LITTLE that does not fit the theme and era of the layout.

I have been in the hobby since 1967, always active in one way or another. Even when layouts where out of the question I was building equipment, belonged to clubs, etc, and, I have built 4 layouts to various levels of completion.

The current one is being rebuilt so that it will be movable since we have decided our current home will not be our retirement home. It was about 1/3 complete when that desision was made, so I changed course quickly to avoid any more layouts that get demolished.

And this will force the retirement house to have a large enough space!

Sheldon

MC

I can only dream about having all those engines. With my 5x9 layout I wouldn't even have enough track to park all of them.

Sheldon I understand about the retirement home. This is the  3rd layout I have started and am now wondering why I didn't consider making it in more than two sections.

Gene, What brand GP-7 do you have. I believe that was one of the first Diesel that C & O purchased at the end of the steam era.

MC

SteamGene

MC, I have two Athearn GP-9s, which are actually GP-7s, painted and lettered for the Milwaukee Road and two Proto 2000 C&O GP-7s.  I also have a Proto 2000 C&O SW-9 and an undecorated Con-Cor SW-9 which may be the VT&Ps first diesel.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

MC

Gene,
Are the GP-7 still available? Any idea where I should start to look for them.
Mc