News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

E60CP item no. 0750

Started by Nauset, August 11, 2023, 10:53:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nauset

Is there a conversion for new motors for this loco? I have several that could stand updating. Thanks!!

jward

Are these the old pancake motor ones? If so, try using the chassis from an old Athearn blue box U28C, U30C or U33C. They should fit.

https://cs.trains.com/mrr/f/88/t/2385.aspx
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Nauset

Thanks Jeff. Yes, they are old pancake style motors. I saw some new motors on the site and wondered if they could be used here. I have three that run soso, and wanted to add dcc while improving the motors and drivetrain. I was hoping to keep original frames but looking for options. Thanks for your reply.
Brian

jward

I understand wanting to keep it as original as possible. But in this case I don't think that's a viable option. You've already stated they don't run well. Adding DCC to them isn't going to improve things. These are low end, train set type locomotives from the 1970s. In addition to the pancake motor, they also have poor electrical pickup with Each truck picking up from a different rail. They probably have only one truck powered, with traction tires on the powered truck to attempt to overcome the issues arising from not having both trucks powered. Traction tires can cause poor tracking, and they wear out. Remotoring these with a better motor would also entail adding new trucks as the new motor would be set up for worm gears driving the trucks. You'd also have to heavily modify the chassis to accept the motor and trucks. And what you'd have when you are done is essentially the same as the drive Athearn used under their 6 axle U boats.

Keep in mind that Bachmann has GREATLY improved their product line since your locomotives were produced. I believe at one point the E60CP was offered in the upgraded version with DCC, but those would probably run $100-150 on ebay. An Athearn drive picked up at a train show would run maybe a quarter to a third of that price.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA