News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC trolley and Bachmann autoreverse system

Started by Terry Toenges, August 12, 2023, 07:40:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Toenges

Will this trolley (Spectrum #80203 Single Truck Birney Street Car DCC) work with  Bachmann's autoreversing system?
Is the trolley dual mode?
*****  I found my answer - it is dual mode *****
I'm going to put a trolley on my Christmas layout where I have my "Main Street". I'll use some flex track to bend it around the corners then lay something on it to cover the ties.  I need a 4 wheeler because I'm going to about a 7" radius at the end corner.
I have a Tyco/Mantua trolley but it isn't lighted.  I tried it and it seems to do the 7" ok.
I don't know if I want to spend all that money for a new Bachmann one just to get the lights. I might try to light the one I have.
I'll take the auto reverse system stuff off of the E-Z track and solder it to the flex track.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

I found a different autoreverser set-up on Ebay so I don't have to dismantle my Bachmann one. I'm waiting on that and my flex track.
I'll paint the trolley and put lights in it.

--------------------------------
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

Getting started on the trolley.
I ordered two pieces of flex track to solder together to bend and fit to the curves I will have. Still waiting on them.

--------------------
I got the four wheel trolley that I'm putting lights in. I opened up the holes on front and back for lights. The lights here are for the front and back. I'm also using a connector so I can disconnect the body from the chassis. I also  have an ESU light strip that I cut down to fit up in the clerestory.

--------------------
I cut out some cardboard so I can fill in the gaps at the bottom. I'm trying to keep a lot of light from shining down.

--------------------

--------------------
I got my reversing gizmo in the mail from Model Train Sounds.
I have a second trolley coming that is in better shape. I'm using this one to practice on.

Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

I wish I could find an S Scale trolley like this. This HO one is pretty small. My Bachmann On30 trolley is way too big.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

I found that Shapeways makes an S scale trolley body but I didn't really care for it. I looked at OO trolleys available across the pond but didn't really care for those either. I guess I'll stick with HO ones.
I got the second one in the mail today. It's Tyco. The first one was Mantua.
I started painting the first one. The body glowed when I shined a small flashlight in it so I had to paint the inside.
I cleaned up the commutators on both and added some lube to the gears. They both run pretty good now. I found someone with brushes for sale so I ordered two pair. They might run better with new brushes since the old ones were pretty worn.
I like the Tyco because I can unscrew the bottom plate to get to the gears and motor.
On the Mantua one, the bottom plate is riveted. I had to poke a little grease in slots to lube the gears. I had a real small "window" where I could wipe the commutator as I rotated it.
Feel like a Mogul.

Len

I've had some success drilling out the rivets on older Mantua equipment and replacing them with screws and nuts. I super-glue the nut inside the unit, then run the screw in from outside.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Terry Toenges

I thought about drilling out the rivets.
I got a second cardboard base cut out. After I cut out the base, I take a toothpick and spread a layer of super glue over it on both sides to strengthen it.
Feel like a Mogul.