Bachmann DC controller problem

Started by Terry Toenges, August 14, 2023, 06:12:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Toenges

I have two Bachmann DC controllers. Neither one will operate a loco in reverse. I have swapped them out and tried different DC locos.
They work fine for running the locos forward, but when I hit the switch to run backwards, nothing happens.
When I use the DC controller, I unplug the DCC controller and plug the DC one in. The controller is run through the Bachmann booster to the track.
Any ideas? Could both of the DC controllers be bad?
Feel like a Mogul.

Len

Do you have the same problem if the controllers are connected directly to the track, without going through the booster? If so, the simplest solution would be to wire DPDT reversing switches into the track leads from those controllers.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Terry Toenges

The booster takes a different size track plug than the controller. I have the track wires all at the back of the layout. I probably have a plug adapter back there for the booster. I will have to move the layout out if I can't find another adapter laying around here somewhere. The plug that goes into the booster is smaller than the  plug that goes into the controller.
It wouldn't seem like the booster would create that problem but who knows. I'll find out.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

AS I think about it, a few months ago I ago I had some tracks pieces set up separate from the layout with the DC controllers. They did the same thing then too. I'll try again with separate track. I had forgotten that I did that.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

I was wrong. I just tried the two controllers with separate track and they both work both ways. That means it has to be the booster that is preventing it from going both ways. I don't run DC stuff often so I don't keep  the DC controller plugged in to the layout. 
Feel like a Mogul.

Len

Well, at least you know the controllers are ok.

Len

Terry Toenges

I was wrong again. Must be old age catching up to me. The track connection to the booster is two screw terminals. I can just splice a wire into those to go into the DC controller. If I can find a box to plug the two controllers into so I can flip a switch for one or the other. I want to avoid swapping boxes. Just power on one or the  other,
DCC controller and booster on one side and DC controller on the other side so they would never be on at the same time. I could plug them in to my power center and make sure I didn't both buttons on at the same time.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

I'm trying to find something like this to plug in two cords and be able to select either the left or right to power on. I've been searching the net to no avail. Does anyone know something like this available?
Feel like a Mogul.

jward

Quote from: Terry Toenges on August 15, 2023, 01:16:18 PMI'm trying to find something like this to plug in two cords and be able to select either the left or right to power on. I've been searching the net to no avail. Does anyone know something like this available?

That is a double pole double throw switch. (DPDT) Those are pretty easy to find in an auto parts store or Lowes, If you have a choice, get one with a center off position. Make sure the contacts are rated the same or higher than your booster in amps.

You'd cut your track wires in half, wire the track end to the center two contacts, and the DC controller and the booster to the outer sets of contacts.
'
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Terry Toenges

Thanks. I decided that I was overthinking this anyway. All I need is the switch for the actual track wires instead of the power supplies. I don't really need that. I can just use a plug in connector from the track wire.
Plug it into the connector lead from the booster for DCC. Unplug it and plug it into a lead from DC controller.
I have the power supplies plugged into a 6 hole power center with individual on/off buttons. As long as both aren't sending power to the track at the same time, it's good.
With the track wire physically disconnected from one or the other, I won't run into trouble. I can also do the switch thing too but this will work for now.
Feel like a Mogul.

jward

I have used the DPDT switch for DC/DCC operation on my layout. It works well. SInce I am running on handlaid track I can't use the EZ track plugs like you do. The key thing is to never have DC and DCC connected to the layout at the same time.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Terry Toenges

That was my primary concern - That I wouldn't turn on the power center with both the DC and DCC power buttons set to on. There's no reason I would turn them both on but if I hit the wrong one by mistake it would be a problem.
The two lit buttons are the DCC. The rest control the Christmas stuff like lights, tree, and animated stuff. I have one open hole to plug in the DC power.
I'm going to have to combine a couple of Christmas things to one hole when I get the trolley up and have to plug it in.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

Just wondering why the track connector plug is a "stereo" plug with three isolated surfaces. The track wire is only two wires so one should only need two like a "monaural" plug.
Feel like a Mogul.

Len

The 'tip' connector is open to prevent a short as the plug is inserted in the jack. The wires to the controller are connected to the 'ring' and 'sleeve' of the plug.

Len

Terry Toenges

Thank you Len. I am so much the wiser now. :)
Feel like a Mogul.