Programming Long addresses With EZ Command

Started by freescopesdad, August 19, 2023, 07:53:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

freescopesdad

I was given an HO set last year with the EZ Command control center. I used it only for around the Christmas tree. My primary layout is Digitrax n scale and Kato Unitrack. I want to use the EZ Command for a small n scale layout this year, again around the tree. But it seems from your literature that I will be forced to reprogram any locomotives that I use with short addresses only (2-9). If this is true I'll have to look elsewhere for a DCC controller, but I was hoping to use the Bachmann if possible.

so what is the story on long addresses? and will the locomotives, which all have sound decoders installed, be able to address those sounds?
Ron

trainman203

EZ command is a beginners module for toy train and Christmas tree operations, the DCC equivalent of the old toy train transformer, training wheels of sorts that you should leave behind once you aspire to any serious operation. The good news is that you can keep it to power accessories. There's nothing really wrong with it other than that it's limited.  I used one for a couple of years before I finally got to where I wanted to more finely tune my locomotive CVs.

Any advanced DCC system is capable of handling long addresses. Which is the only sensible approach. Your locomotive address can be the actual road number of the locomotive.

There are less expensive DCC options that are more advanced than the EZ command, such as the N C E Powercab, that can not only handle longer addresses, but also allow you to change and control your CVs as well.

freescopesdad

So is that actually a no that it cannot handle long addresses? You kind of danced around it. I know it is a rudimentary system, I was just hoping I could run 1 locomotive on it without having to reprogram. I have an old unused digitrax zephyr, i was just trying to make things easier for my 3 yo granddaughter.

trainman203

My EZ command could only take addresses "1" through "10".  Bachmann has just introduced an upgraded EZ command that might accept higher address numbers.  But the older one you have will only take 1 through 10.

So yes, to use your present EZ command to run your present engines, any engine addressed above 10 must be changed to something between 1 and 10.

Again, I would say, invest in a more advanced but still basic system.  Or, dedicate one engine with an address suited to the EZ command to the Christmas operation.  You already have a Digitraxx throttle.  Get their basic system and you can use the throttle for the Christmas train.

Yard Master

The E-Z Command Plus still can only be programmed with short addresses. Do keep in mind that a locomotive's address you set on the E-Z Command will also carry over to other DCC systems such as Digitrax. So a locomotive programmed on address 1 carries over to Digitrax as address 001. This way you will not need to reprogram when switching between the two systems. But the short answer is no, E-Z Command does not support long addresses, and a locomotive programmed with a long address will need to be reprogrammed to control it with the E-Z Command.

Len

One nice thing about the NCE Power Cab 'trainman' mentioned is the available add on throttle is identical to the original throttle. So there is no learning curve for a different button layout you run into with certain other systems.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.