News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Adhesive To Use For Kadee Magnetic Uncoupler

Started by BobZ, August 31, 2023, 10:20:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BobZ

Recommended? Would like to be able to remove in the future if necessary.

Len

I just use Scotch 2-sided tape. The package says 'permanent', but a bit of Goo-Gone loosens the sticky stuff to allow removal.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jward

Quote from: Len on August 31, 2023, 03:22:10 PMI just use Scotch 2-sided tape. The package says 'permanent', but a bit of Goo-Gone loosens the sticky stuff to allow removal.

Len

Wouldn't that raise the level of the uncoupler out of spec?

Personally, I'd use Hob-E-Tac. I've used that in the past to mount Atlas under table switch motors to plywoork with good results.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Len

The Scotch doublesided tape is about the same thickness as regular Scotch tape. It's never given me a problem with the uncoupler height.

Len

BobZ

BobZ

FYI. I tried the double sided Scotch Brand tape. I have a 2-6-0 that hangs up on the magnet. Magnet seems to be just slightly higher than the rails. Haven't checked the under-side of loco to see what's going on. Rolling stock seems to be ok. I'll shave a little of the ties down to lower the magnet.

Len

I had an 0-6-0 that would sometimes hang on a terminal/rerailer section. The 'gear bulge' was just large enough to drag on it. A couple of swipes with a flat file on the bulge fixed that. I didn't start installing magnetic uncouplers until a while after that, and the rest of my locos had more clearance underneath.

Len

BobZ

I noticed today that the width of the magnet may be what's causing the magnet to sit too high. It appears the both side/edges of the magnet are resting on the tie plates holding the rail. This is on both the EZ-Track and Atlas track.

Len

Went an looked at one of my old magnets and it has chamfered eddges on one side to prevent that. I wonder if the newer ones dropped that, or did you possibly install it upside down? If they've dropped that feature, you should be able to file or sand the corners of the magnet down to clear the rail clips.

Len

BobZ

Len, that's why you make the big bucks. I did have it up-side down. I will need to file down the 'gear bulge' a little since it still hangs up. Thanks.