News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New Bachmann On30 Caboose

Started by Fred Klein, August 24, 2023, 05:31:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fred Klein

Well, I decided to break down and buy one of the new Bachmann On30 Wood Side-Door Cabooses - in my case #26702, the Bellevue & Cascade livery. The unit just arrived today and all I can say is "Wow!". Bachmann hit it out of the park again with this model. The caboose, which is divided into passenger and freight sections, has a full interior with functioning side doors as well as front and rear doors. The front and rear doors are easy to push open but a bit fiddly to close, so Bachmann thoughtfully suppied a super-fine (thin) stainless steel wire hook to be able to reach in and close the doors. The caboose also has led lighting in the ceiling.

Unpacking the unit and placing it on the test track with power applied causes the led's to light up nicely. I have not had a chance add the unit to an operating train but do not expect any issues since it tracks very nicely around the 15-inch curves and Peco turnouts on my layout.

Overall, I'm very pleased with this model. It is very well done and the construction looks (to my old eyes) to be top notch. I only hope that this is a harbinger of more great On30 models to come. Great job, Bachmann!
Fred Klein
Okeechobee, FL

John Tumolo

Fred-I purchased the SR&RL version when it was first released several years ago, and it's always been a favorite.  A few naysayers griped about the width, but overall, I think most liked the construction and the overall look.  John Tumolo

Fred Klein

John, glad you like the caboose. As far as naysayers are concerned, I never listen to them and usually just do the opposite. So if they say the caboose is too wide/narrow, I would definitely buy it just to tick them off.
Fred Klein
Okeechobee, FL

p51

I've seen one and I agree they look great. Sadly, the RR I model (the ET&WNC) never had anything like that, so I can't use one.
But I'm glad you love yours!
-Lee

Fred Klein

Thanks, p51. Since I'm modelling the FEC Kissimmee Valley Extension in an alternate universe, it turns out that the folks that wanted to keep the branch active after it was abandoned in 1947 happened to find this caboose at a price too good to pass up, so they bought it. This way, the little branch is able to provide minimal passenger service from roughly Holopaw to Okeechobee (for all the nitpickers: yes I know the line ran all the way to New Smyrna Beach). Back to reality, I my previous life I rode the Milwaukee Road's commuter service for a number of years in Chicago and grew quite attached to the line. The Bellevue & Cascade caboose is something to sort of feed my nostalgia.

It's too bad that there was nothing like that on the ET&WNC because it really is a nice model and I think you'd get a kick out of it.

Fred
Fred Klein
Okeechobee, FL