News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Locomotive doesn't work

Started by jgilchrist800, September 07, 2023, 12:07:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgilchrist800

Newbe here. Purchased new Bachmann Florida East #14 EMD SD40-2 Diesel Loco (DCC). Doesn't work! I may have messed up the loco # or something else. Using NCE Pro Cab. I tried resetting according to NCE instructions, didn't work.
Set loco no. 3, nada, set loco# to 714, nada, also tried 2 since that showed up one time.
Appreciate your help.
John Gilchrist
Yukon, OK

jgilchrist800

As a point of clarification I have a 2nd locomotive which works perfect when I enter the long address.

trainman203

Use the programming track feature on your N C E and find out what the address really is.

If it is new, call the Bachmann Service department.

jgilchrist800

I have progressed a little bit further. Setting CV to 30/2, turning off and then back on, and entering the loco address of 714 I am able to get lights, and when I press the throttle I get a buzzing sound but the locomotive doesn't move. Also no horn or bell.

jward

Have you tried the locomotive on DC?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jgilchrist800

No, my layout is DCC. I don't know how to run on DC - still a newbe.

jward

Easiest wayis to get a 9 volt battery with the snap in termnals. Touch the terminals to the wheels and it should run. This is also a good way to test secondhand locomotives at a train show before you buy.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jgilchrist800

Thanks. I'll try it and I'll call service tomorrow.

trainman203

This "is" a factory-new engine, right?  Did you buy it at a train show? Some of those sharks might te-shrink-wrap some used product and pass it off as new. If that happened, there's no limit to what could be wrong with this engine, what abuse it could've suffered in a previous life.

You're a decoder "is" a Soundtraxx product, right?

You did at some point reset all cv's to default by setting cv8 to 8, cutting off track power then turning it back on, and watching for the headlight to blink 16 times, right?

And then trying to run the engine on address 3?

jgilchrist800

The engine is brand new, bought from one of the major train dealers. When I set CV=8 I did turn off the power and turn it back on, but lights didn't come on. The lights only come when I push the light button on the Pro-Cab. I'm also getting a buzz now when I throttle the engine.
I did set up a separate track and hooked up 16 volts; the engine worked perfect, except the sounds did not work. Note the engine only worked when giving the long address. I thought my problem was the engine, but it seems to be more the Pro-Cab, probably the setup I gave the engine, although I have reset more than once and it doesn't work. I will call NCE if I don't get any further progress.

trainman203

You need to try the engine on a DCC layout known to work properly to see if the engine works properly before you pursue possible flaws in the N C E system.

I have two N C E pro cab command stations with two wireless cabs. I also have three N C E Powercab systems to use on portable layout. I've never had a problem with any of them, other than the normal wear and tear on the buttons and throttle wheel.

PS. When you cut the power after resetting CV eight, don't look for the headlight to just come on, you have to wait for it to blink 16 times to communicate that the decoder has successfully received the reset command.  If it's not doing the 16 blinks, something is amiss with the decoder.

jgilchrist800

As stated in my 2nd post we have a 3rd dcc Loco that works perfectly.  I'll check on waiting for the light blinks but I don't think there are any unless we click the light switch. Thanks for your comments

John

jward

Quote from: jgilchrist800 on September 08, 2023, 03:59:15 PMThe engine is brand new, bought from one of the major train dealers. When I set CV=8 I did turn off the power and turn it back on, but lights didn't come on. The lights only come when I push the light button on the Pro-Cab. I'm also getting a buzz now when I throttle the engine.
I did set up a separate track and hooked up 16 volts; the engine worked perfect, except the sounds did not work.

By "hooking the track up to 16 volts" do you mean you tested it on DC, and it worked perfectly there?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA