News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Specturm 4-6-0 driver size'

Started by GN.2-6-8-0, January 04, 2008, 09:32:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GN.2-6-8-0

Anyone know what the driver size is on the new spectrum 10 wheeler?
was just wondering....
Also 'why is it so difficult to find one with the larger USRA tender for sale?
Rocky Lives

Atlantic Central

GN.2-6-8-0,

New Spectrum 10 Wheeler? The 10 Wheeler is not new, it has been out since 2004 or maybe even before that. All the versions that have been produced in the past are not currently in production or in the catalog, that does not mean they are not available if you shop around.

There are two versions, one with 52" drivers and one with 63" drivers.

In the prototype Baldwin offered it both ways - so does Bachmann.

Tenders - As shown in the 2004 bachmann catalog, three different tenders have been offered depending on roadname. Only the Chicago & Northwestern version came with the short USRA tender. The NYC and the 63" driver unlettered versions came with an even shorter, but tall tender and all others came with the low original 1900 style tender.

Only the two unlettered versions (both size drivers) and the Ma & Pa version (small drivers) are listed in the 2007 catalog or currently on the product pages.

If you wish to install a seperately purchased short USRA tender or the short vanderbilt tenders behind the Ten Wheeler you will need to do some rewiring - the seperately sold tenders are NOT compatible with this loco out of the box. A search of this board will find info I have posted about this tender swap, or, let me know and I will post it again.

Hope this answers your question.

Sheldon

GN.2-6-8-0

I was under the impression the 10 wheeler came out shortly before the 4-4-0 so stand corrected.
was thinking of the 63 inch drivered version because thought the slightly bigger tender would be more sound decoder friendly.
frankly like the looks of the 52 inch drivered version a little better (bell placement etc.) plus with the drivers  matching the 2-10-0 and motor/gearing similar are the same they should i think doublehead together nicely....hopefully!
So if this is possible the next question is is the smaller low sided tender big enough to fit in a mico tsunumai decoder and speaker?
Has anyone as yet tried this conversion?
Rocky Lives

Atlantic Central

I can't help with that part, I don't do sound or DCC.

Sheldon