News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Streamlined Hudson question

Started by thewizard, September 03, 2023, 09:37:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewizard

Mr. Bachmann, do you know which paint scheme(s) of the streamlined hudson you will be releasing? The image you are using seems to show a partially shrouded engine with a black tender and a single thin white stripe near the top, and not the iconic j3a that was used on the majority of 20th century limited trains.

I count 4 paint schemes that were used on the j3's.

* The 1938 version with blue stripes (AKA the best one ;D)
* The 1940's version with silver stripes
* Two-tone black and white "Empire State Express"
* Black whith single thin white stripe near the top of the tender (what I think is in the image you are using, but was possibly only done for #5344 J3e... not sure on the last bit)

Most of my info is from https://nycshs.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/pages-from-1981q3.pdf but there's a good photo of #5344 at https://www.trains.com/ctr/railroads/locomotives/new-york-central-4-6-4-hudson-no-5344-in-four-photos/

Also, do you have any plans to release NYC passenger cars in the future, either heavyweight or lightweight?

Yard Master

Hi thewizard,

Good eye! The photo on the cover of the new announcements brochure is in fact of #5344 in the paint scheme used for the Mercury service. #5344 was a J1-e Hudson, but our initial release will actually be of the earlier J3-a Hudsons designed for the 20th Century Limited. They will have either the 1938 or 1940s version of the paint scheme that was designed for those locomotives.

The Empire State Express Hudsons used a different streamlined body design that Bachmann is not planning to produce at the moment, but we may consider in the future.

As for the Mercury Dreyfuss Hudson and NYC passenger cars... we have nothing ready to announce at the moment, but stay tuned for future announcements.

thewizard

I will start saving my pennies. Thank you Mr Yard Master!