Wiring my DC layout with Isolated sections using a Parallel Circuit

Started by justathomasfan, September 12, 2023, 12:59:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justathomasfan

Hello! I am getting back into model trains, and had a question about how I am going to wire my layout. I am using Bachmann products for the most part (the only exception is one controller I will be using for one of my loops of track. The other is a Bachmann one). I would like to be able to create some isolated sections, and do this via parallel circuits that run from the controller to on/off switches that can turn the power on and off for a specific section. This would allow me to mimmic DCC, while using what I have. My question is how would I safely divide my power between the switches, and how would I do this in general? I also saw something about only using plastic fish plates on one side, and not both, which is what I thought you needed to do, so if you could explain that, this would really help. I have also attached a picture of what I would think it would look like, and what I am trying to do here: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/7zcimfv1v8m79dbct1rnt/Example-of-wiring-copy.png?rlkey=2u6uac6xuggp2feie2de7z6xm&dl=0. Thanks!

jward

The simplest way to do this is to use Atlas Selectors. https://shop.atlasrr.com/p-54-selector.aspx

To wire your layout as drawn you'll need two, one for each track. Note that these devices have inputs for two seperate controllers, meaning that is you fully wire them either of your controllers will be able to run a train anywhere on the layout.

Wire them according to this diagram: https://trains4u.in/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/IMG_20200722_112839__01__01.jpg

Note that the insulated joints are only on the outermost rail of the track. You can adapt the diagram to your own layout, where you have drawn the insulated joints in the correct locations.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

trainman203

I sort of hate to say this, but if you are just beginning Model Railroading, and know about DCC, why would you want to only imitate it?  Instead of going right into DCC from the beginning and enjoying all the benefits that it brings.

This is my opinion only of course, but I see only three reasons to not embrace DCC.  1.  Financial, because it's not that cheap getting into it. 2. You are already heavily invested in DC equipment. 3. The reason it took me so long to get into it, which was basically fear of the unknown. When I finally opened up my N C E boxes, they had a page about learning to use it. Which consisted of setting up a separate loop of track with your new DCC on it to practice on before you altered your layout.

jward

There is another reason you haven't mentioned. DC is simple to understand, easy to troubleshoot, and any mistakes aren't going to potentially burn up expensive equipment. Plus, any locomotive you buy is going to be able to run on DC unless it is DCC and somebody has disabled the analog cunversion setting in the decoder.

I can understand starting out in DC, getting to know and understand the basic wiring and what pitfalls to avoid, then switching over to DCC at a later date. Keep it simple at first, before you introduce the level of complexity DCC can bring. There really is no simple way to introduce DCC and have a fully functional system. DCC locomotives can lose their programming and require a reset that some DCC systems are unable to perform. That is not the case with DC. No programming involved with DC. No figuring out how to hardwire a decoder into an older locomotive, no potential for a dead short on the track that can pull 5 amps or more and render an expensive system a brick.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

MidWestMikeGT

I did what you want to do a bit ago for a Christmas tree layout. 

I isolated each section with two plastic rail joiners.  I also used just one power supply (at first) using the Atlas #0220 controller.  I later changed it to use the Atlas #0215.  It worked out pretty well. 

I did that because there was a higher risk of shorting out (think tinsel, foil wrapping, cat, dog, etc.) and did not want to risk my DCC locomotives.  DC locomotives are more robust against shorts, I think.  If there is a short, it just stops working rather than burn up your decoder.  Of course, that is only in my limited opinion.