News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

PCC sound value trolley

Started by Mark Oles, September 15, 2023, 09:48:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Oles

Hi folks,

I'm working on an HO scale display layout. I'd like to add a back and forth trolley to the scene. We've already got the track in place so I'm looking for recommendations or suggestions for a trolley to use. I like the look of the PCC trolley and see the sound value ones out there are pretty reasonably priced. But I am looking for some experience with these things and recommendations.

Also- does anyone have experience with an automatic back and forth circuit like the ones made by dallee?

Terry Toenges

I don't have any experience with Dallee but I just bought this Model Trains Sounds reversing system. I'm in the process of getting everything set-up. I decided to order their lighted bumpers too so I'm waiting on those.
Once I have everything, I'll solder a couple of pieces of flextrack together. Then I have to bend it in the shape that I need and install the electronic stuff.
I bought a couple of old Tyco/Mantua trolleys that I'm putting lights in.

http://modeltrainsounds.com/

http://modeltrainsounds.com/project_16.htm

http://modeltrainsounds.com/orders.htm
Feel like a Mogul.

Yard Master

Hi Mark,

Bachmann offers the E-Z Track Reversing System just for purposes like these, if you are interested in using E-Z Track.

Also, a reminder that in addition to the DCC Sound Value PCC Streetcar, we have a DCC Ready version arriving this winter.

Terry Toenges

I would have used E-Z Track but I wanted to get it down to street level and about 13"-14" radius. I did buy a Bachmann Brill trolley but I don't think it will handle that radius.
Feel like a Mogul.

jward

I was fortunate enough to live on a streetcar line in Pittsburgh, and I rode the PCC cars every day. Like the Bachmann model, ours were single ended. Backing them up was only done in the yard or in emergency situations out on the line. Thus they would look a bit odd doing the autoreverse thing on a layout. You'd be better off using a double ended streetcar for the trolley line unless you make a loop out of it.

That said, the PCCs are beautiful cars and I enjoyed riding them very much. It was amazing riding them at rush hour, and meeting maybe 15-20 cars heading the opposite way. That is an experience that cannot be duplicated to-day.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

trainman203

jward

Quote from: trainman203 on September 16, 2023, 06:47:23 PMExcept in New Orleans

I can find no records or photos of PCC cars operating in New Orleans. Most PCC cars, including the Bachmann model, are single ended cars. What New Orleans has is something completely different.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

trainman203

No there weren't ever any PCC cars there.  But there's 4 active street car lines there now, with 38 or so original Perley Thomas cars from 1922-24 with several newer (20 yr ago) near-replicas as well riding on PCC-looking inboard-bearing trucks.  At rush-hour those babies stack up on Canal Street several deep.

I always thought that PCC cars look too much like buses on rails. The same way that so many passenger trains do in England now.  Cannot get used to that look.