Fellow modelers- Can this switcher be converted to DCC?

Started by Ralph S, September 02, 2023, 12:59:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph S

Okay, Here's the question.
 I have this very good Switcher, but I've moved my layout to DCC. Has anyone any experience converting this very short switcher from DC to DCC?   If so, can you inform me that there is enough room under the cover/in the chassis to support installing a DCC decoder?  I've contemplated using an N scale decoder, but unsure if that would fit too.

If there isn't enough room, which I suspect, then does anyone know what hobby store, manufacturer that makes this model in DCC?   Bachmann's 2023 catalog doesn't have this model in analog or DCC. 

Terry Toenges

If you  check  their parts page, you can get a idea of the inside. It shows the  cab, shell, and underframe.
https://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=68_168
Feel like a Mogul.

jward

It looks like you have a 1970s version of this engine. I have the much improved blue box version. It is a nice runner, and can pull 8 cars up a 4% grade.

I'll have to take mine apart, but I think you should be able to hard wire a Digitrax DZ series (Z scale) decoder. These are tiny enough to fit almost anywhere, yet have the same current rating as an HO scale decoder. I've successfully used them in Thomas, and several of the USRA 0-6-0s.

You may have just bumped this locomotive up on my to-do list. When I do convert it to DCC, I will be sure to take photos and post them here.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

trainman203

jward

Here is the results of my preliminary test fitting of a Digitrax DZ126 decoder into the Plymouth switcher.

This is the locomotive I have. It is recent enough to have knuckle couplers.

Removing the coupler boxes allows the body to be removed, by gentle rocking from side to side. You do not need to pry anything with a screwdriver to release it. Be gentle and you are in no risk of breaking anything. Under the hood is a split frame drive that is almost all weight. No wonder this thing outpulls small steam locomotives. Unfortunately this means the locomotive is NOT DCC ready, and it will have to be disassembled to make it so. But the good news is that the weight does not fill the cab.

This gives an idea of the size of the decoder relative to its eventual placement. As you can see, there will be plenty of room.

With the body back in place, you can see the decoder in the cab, and the amount of room it has around it. This is good as it allows for plenty of air flow and heat dissipation. This decoder should not overheat here.

Next step will be to completely disassemble the locomotive to isolate the motor from the chassis, which is usually not hard in the split frame locomotives I've converted. But this is by far the smallest one I've attempted. I've posted these preliminary photos for reference so others can get an idea what is involved in converting this locomotive to DCC.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

trainman203

I recall long, long ago a little switcher very much like this sitting in the Kaiser aluminum plant in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, adjacent to the Mississippi river bridge on the East bank.

It was solid orange from the emitted oxide dust as was the entire plant, the river bridge, and everything within a half mile of the plant. And I'm certain the inside of the employees' lungs as well.  That whole area is completely vacant now, certainly a superfund site.  The bridge is silver again.

Ralph S

This is great news.   I can now keep this old analog (my work horse) version and perform that conversion to DCC.   My work bench isn't there yet, but this one will be added to the mountain of maintenance updates already in my cue.

Thanks for the images on just how it should look.