News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

E-Z Command Problems: Powering locomotives

Started by Helnermjma, December 29, 2007, 07:31:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Helnermjma

I purchased for my son a Bachmann Spectrum train set (The Frontiersman), track extension pack, and the EZ Command controller for Christmas.  I have been able to run the train with the standard analog controller(supplied with the starter set), but cannot get the EZ Command controller to work with the engine.  The locomotive supplied in the starter set is DCC equipped.  I can program the locomotive to specific addresses (engine moves back and forth), but cannot get the locomotive to run by the EZ Command controller.  I put a multimeter on the rails and have .14V with the control knob at 0.  When I turn the control knob I get no more additional voltage to the rails.  I think my issue is with the EZ Command Controller and putting out power to the rails.   

Can anyone give me some direction on what is wrong?

kingraptor

maybe it is you're power brick that came with you're set. i got one 12/26 and it is fine. if you mailed in you're warranty you should get a new one or replacement

the Bach-man

Dear Helnermjma,
It's possible that the controller is bad. Contact the service department on Wednesday to arrange for a replacement.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Jim Banner

Quote from: Helnermjma on December 29, 2007, 07:31:10 PM
I can program the locomotive to specific addresses (engine moves back and forth), but cannot get the locomotive to run by the EZ Command controller.

What are you using to move the engine back and forth when you program the address?  Depending on the answer to this question, the problem could also be in the decoder or its programming.

Quote from: Helnermjma on December 29, 2007, 07:31:10 PM
I put a multimeter on the rails and have .14V with the control knob at 0.  When I turn the control knob I get no more additional voltage to the rails.

Did you have your multimeter set for ac volts?  DCC uses ac on the rails, not dc.  And the ac on the rails should remain constant.  The only time you should see dc on the rails is if you are using address 10 to operate a dc locomotive (no decoder) on DCC.

Do you perchance have both the E-Z Command and the standard analog controller connected to the tracks at the same time?  This is a no-no.

There is one analog controller that can be plugged into the E-Z Command to give an extra DCC address.  Your standard analog controller may or may not be the correct type for this.  But there is no reason to have any analog controller plugged into your E-Z Command at this time.  Save your analog controller to power up turnouts when you get to them.

Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Helnermjma

What are you using to move the engine back and forth when you program the address?  Depending on the answer to this question, the problem could also be in the decoder or its programming.

The engine moves slightly back and forth automatically when I change its address on the EZ controller. 

I did have the multimeter set to dc.  When I set it to ac, I got a constant 17.1V.  I checked the dc voltage on address 10, but I didn't get any dc voltage. 

I did plug in the analog controller to the EZ Command and was able to run an old Bachmann diesel engine with the analog controller.  The new DCC 2-8-0 steam locomotive didn't run on the analog circuit as the analog diesel, but it runs fine when I power it alone just with the analog controller supplied with the starter set.

I didn't connect the analog and EZ Command controllers separately to the track at the same time, only connected them together as shown on the EZ Command diagram.

Any additional thoughts?  If not I'll call Bachmann on Wed.

Thank you everyone for your responses.  Happy New Year.

prebres

You could try a simple shotgun-type approach, just to see if it works.

1. take all engines off the track.
2. press and hold the 3 button the EZ Command
3. Press and release the stop button then the #3
4. Put engine with decoder on track.
5. press #1
6. press stop.
7. press #1
8. turn throttle and see if engine goes.

That method will set the decoder address to #1 no matter what it is set to. The you know with out a doubt the address is #1 and if it doesn;t work now, it's not going to work as it is.

Jim Banner

Quote from: Helnermjma on December 30, 2007, 11:32:12 AM
The engine moves slightly back and forth automatically when I change its address on the EZ controller.

That is the feedback from the locomotive to indicate that it has received the command and acted upon it.

I did have the multimeter set to dc.  When I set it to ac, I got a constant 17.1V.  I checked the dc voltage on address 10, but I didn't get any dc voltage.

Address 10 normally controls dc locomotives by creating a net dc voltage on the rails, but it does not do this when you have your dc controller plugged into the E-Z Command.  In that case, your dc controller controls dc locomotives through your E-Z Command and address 10 becomes an additional DCC address.

The new DCC 2-8-0 steam locomotive didn't run on the analog circuit as the analog diesel, but it runs fine when I power it alone just with the analog controller supplied with the starter set.

This is normal.  When run on a dc controller, a locomotive fitted with a decoder receives dc and the decoder in the locomotive automatically switches to dc operation.

When a locomotive is run on DCC,  the Command station generates a net dc voltage by stretching out either the positive or negative half of the DCC signal (which is ac.)  An analogue locomotive will run just fine on this net dc.  But the decoder in a DCC locomotive will detect the presence of a DCC signal and will NOT switch to dc, so it will not run on net dc on a DCC controlled track.

It is sounding more and more like the E-Z Command is faulty but  there is still a possibility of a decoder fault, even though it accepted the address properly.  If you purchased your son's set at a local hobby shop, they should be willing to test at least the locomotive.  If there is a local model railroad club, they may be willing to test the locomotive also.  A third possibility is to borrow a DCC equipped locomotive from a friend and try it out.  If none of these are possible, I would suggest sending both the E-Z Command and the locomotive back for inspection by Bachmann.

I see that even as I write, prebres has posted a test routine.  By all means try that too.  Unfortunately, if the DCC locomotive still fails to run, you will still not know for sure if it is the E-Z Command or the decoder.

I feel sorry for your son having to wait to use his Christmas present.  But rest assured that you have bought him one of the finest locomotives available in H0 scale.  I say this as a user, a part of a group that has used a number of these locomotives in a public display for many years and who runs them on his own layout.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

laingsirish

:(
Having exactly the same problem! Only this "kid" is 53 years old and sulking cos his new toy doesn't work :D
Did you get yours resolved ok?

Ian