News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

I was wondering…..

Started by trainman203, September 27, 2023, 03:38:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trainman203

When a DC power pack started being called a "controller."  Or even DCC power sources like the EZ command.

Ken Huck

I remember them being called "transformers".  I believe that was even before
"Power Packs".

Ken

Len

I remember "transformers" from Lionel and American Fly AC track power was it days. Then HO started taking off, and the DC output transformers started being called "Power Packs" to differentiate them from the AC output "transformers". The only "Controller" I knew of back them was the Atlas #220 Controller for wiring turntables and wyes.

When DCC came along, it seemed like everything was "Throttles", "Power Supplies" and "Boosters". Not sure when "Controller" snuck into the mix as a description for all-in-one units like the Digitrax Zephyr or EZ-Command.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Terry Toenges

Some call certain veggies potatoes, some call them spuds, and some call them taters.
I sometimes call the E-Z Command box or it's DC counterpart a controller to differentiate between that and the power pack (or some say power supply) which I see as the black box that gets plugged into it and the outlet and provides the power for it to function.
When I was running my Lionel as a kid it was a transformer because that was all I ever heard it called. Back then, I didn't know anything about transforming AC to DC or vice versa.
Feel like a Mogul.

jward

My personal take on it. I use the term controller rather than power pack because that's what it is. Lionel's controllers were ttrasnformers because that;s what they did, step down AC house power to voltages suitable for running trains. To me power packs were the all in one units from the 60s and 70s that put out DC for running trains, along with AC and possibly DC constant voltage terminals for accessories. Yes it still contained a transformer, but it also had a rectifier to convert AC to DC, along with circuitry to vary the DC voltage powering the trains. The Modern controller has a seperate transformer/rectifier unit (wall wart) that plugs into the unit whose main purpose is controlling the trains, Thus, controller.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

trainman203

So, then.  Power pack for DC, controller for DCC?

Yard Master

Bachmann's official designation is that the "controller" is the actual device that controls the speed and direction of the train. With DC control, this refers to the "speed controller" with the rotating knob and direction switch. In DCC, a device like the E-Z Command is also considered a "controller", giving control of speed, direction, and DCC functions. We describe them as such because they control the train, but do not generate power on their own.

We use "power pack" to refer exclusively to the actual electric transformer "wall wart" that plugs into the outlet and generates/supplies power to the speed controller/E-Z Command.

So basically, the difference is "controllers" control the train, but do not supply power. "Power packs"/"wall packs" supply power, but do not control the train. Put the two together, and you have a working model railroad!

jward

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Len

Then what does that make 'all in one' units, like the old Spectrum Magnum?

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

trainman203

The word "controller" makes me think of a streetcar controller.  The Rotating handle looks almost just like lots of Model Railroad power units.

Let's see if this works:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VkEmiwiK1Hw&pp=ygUWU3RyZWV0Y2FyIHNjaG9vbCB0aHJlZQ%3D%3D

When I'm running my engine, this is more what I am thinking:

https://trumpetb.net/loco/backhead.html

😂😂

Very far from a "controller."

I wish that this forum allowed direct photo copying like everyone else does.

Ralph S

Being late to the conversation; I'd like to sum this all up with the following;
(let me know if I got it correct or incorrect)

DC Controller:
this refers to the "speed controller" with the rotating knob and direction switch.

Transformer:
 step down AC house power to voltages suitable for running model trains.

Model Controller:
contains a transformer, but it also has a rectifier to convert AC to DC, along with circuitry to vary the DC voltage powering the model trains.

Power Pack:
an electric transformer "wall wart" that plugs into the outlet and generates/supplies power to the speed controller powering the model trains.

Controller:
controls the train but does not supply power.  "Power packs"/"wall packs" supply power but does not control the train.  Put the two together, and you have a working model railroad/train set.

device like the E-Z Command is also considered a "controller", giving control of speed, direction, and DCC functions.  It is described, as such because they control the train, but do not generate power on their own.
---------------------------------------
Now that this was brought up, maybe someone can help clarify another issue...regarding decoders (see Forum topic: "Difference between mobile decoder and a motor decoder")