News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Wish list?

Started by Dbarefoot, September 30, 2023, 03:09:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dbarefoot

Would it be appropriate if I post this? If not, feel free to let me know or delete the topic.

I just wanted to start up a Bachmann On30 wish list. Now I do not know if there is already a topic on this, but as I was reading through the forums, I noticed where a forum topic acknowledged that Bachmann does read the forums, and take suggestions. With the lack of participation, found on the forum, I would hate to see Bachmann On30 fade out. This is a niche scale, but with enough fan fair, and excitement, we just may be able to return to the peak of it's popularity.

I don't have much on my personal wish list, other than an 8-18d 2-6-0 like the large scale ones.

Thank ya'll
~Dusten

Mister Lee

There have been wish lists on this forum in the past, but most suggestions didn't catch on. I should know; I was one of them.

I suspect that the growth of 3-D printing is probably cut into manufacturers' production of new freight and passenger car designs, unless the designs or car types are really, really popular.  Which is unfortunate, because I'd really like to see a nice, short Railway Post Office car with a clearstory roof but without the end platforms that the rest of the Bachmann On30 passenger car fleet possess.

I would like to suggest a new road name for some of Bachmann's production: I don't believe that any real railroad is currently using the Crystal River Railroad road name. The real Crystal River Railroad was an obscure shortline in the Colorado Rockies but the name itself is so generic that it could represent most parts of the Continental US or Canada except for the most arid parts of the US Southwest. That the real Crystal River Railroad didn't have anything resembling Bachmann's On30 production probably wouldn't matter to most people buying starter sets.

p51

Just a few that come to mind:
  • EBT 2-8-2 (with blind center drivers for the tighter curve types)
  • Baldwin S118-class 2-8-2. That Army took those things all over the world and a few still run here and there
  • Re-release of the Baldwin ten-wheelers, to include White Pass & Yukon 10 and 14 (formerly ET&WNC locomotives, the very same prototype Bachmann has already made)
  • Release of current On30 cars for the ET&WNC road name applied to match the same 10-wheelers. They tank car is a darned good representation of their tank cars 600 and 604 as they are, just with different lettering
-Lee

ScottyB

I will continue to argue that it was the shay and climax that created the On30 boom. I think rereleasing those with upgraded tooling, gears and sound would reignite interest and sales in the scale.
On30 for me, N scale for my son.

Fred Klein

For me, I would like to see a re-release of the Gas-Mechanical. I have one and the best phrase I can think of to describe it is "it's so darned cute". Also, I wouldn't mind seeing a re-release of the Porter 0-4-0 and 0-4-2 engines.

As for rolling stock, I would like to see a re-release of the pulpwood car and some passenger cars other than excursion cars. I'm particularly partial to combines, but coaches and parlor cars would also be great. That's all I can think of for now, I'm sure I'll come up with some more as time progresses  ;) .
Fred Klein
Okeechobee, FL

ScottyB

Many of the Bachmann freight cars use identical tooling. The frame is the same for the boxcar, flat, gondola, etc.

How about some "shake the box" style, one evening freight car kits using these components?
On30 for me, N scale for my son.

Fred Klein

Great idea, ScottyB! I would definitely be interested in kits like that, reminiscent of the old Athearn blue-box kits.
Fred Klein
Okeechobee, FL

Ken Clark

Another option to consider is looking at "S" scale rolling stock, I have a few pieces just a matter of truck replacement.
  Size wise they look good along side Colorado freight cars.

Another conversion I've done using "O" scale cars were 4 wood style ore cars. Cannot remember the maker, but they were taken over by "ATLAS" getting them is a different matter, been looking for a couple more!.

Mark B

I like the idea of a shorty type RPO or RPO/baggage/and maybe passenger type combine.
Wood sided hoppers would be very welcome. I've blended some S scale ones into my fleet and they seem to fit very well, but still would like to see some produced in On30. How about some outside braced box cars? I also recently saw a picture of an outside braced caboose that was equipped with a side door. Very cool.
How about a bay window accessory piece that could just be added to sides of some of my logging cabooses?

Mark B.

John Tumolo

Ok, gang-I've been asking for YEARS and I shall continue to do so-we truly need a Maine-style Prairie.  With all of the HO mechanisms available to Bachmann, it shouldn't be that difficult.  A model of WW&F's #6 would be ideal, but there are a bunch of different ones that ran on the SR&RL that would do. 

Murray

Quote from: John Tumolo on October 20, 2023, 06:19:32 PMOk, gang-I've been asking for YEARS and I shall continue to do so-we truly need a Maine-style Prairie.  With all of the HO mechanisms available to Bachmann, it shouldn't be that difficult.  A model of WW&F's #6 would be ideal, but there are a bunch of different ones that ran on the SR&RL that would do. 
I am new on here, so hello!. I am in Australia, and 0n30 is not such a big thing here.
I totally agree, a Maine style prairie, that would be something. Or, a model of the narrow gauge N class 2-6-2 of the New Zealand railways from the late 19th century. Very cool!
And more assorted box cars and passenger cars would be nice.
I still have a 2-4-4 Forney, and yes, it needs big wide curves, but it is such a sweet looking smooth running little thing. I would buy another. I do hope Bachmann stay committed to 0n30. 

Ken Clark

Murray

There is an article in the 2007 On30 annual on converting the Bachmann Mogul to a New Zealand Railways N class 2-6-2, which may be of interest.

As for my wish list I would like to see the Bachmann LS wood style ore cars done in On30.

Murray

I also think a 2-4-0 tender loco, with a 6 wheel tender like the 'Little Yarra' of the Poweltown tramway in Australia would be great. And, how hard could it be? Bachmann 2-4-4 Forney, cut off and fitted with a tender with a bogie and two pedestal wheels at the front. I would imagine Bachmann still have the tooling?

Geared Steam

There literally hundreds of products out there ready to build for On30, 3d printed or resin. Plenty of kits to convert HO scale locos into a On30 loco, all my favorites are already out there, Bachmann is pretty much done in On30 apparently, except that 2-6-0 you see a million of. Bachmann just needs to keep producing trucks for me to use on these kits  :D