Need track for a 1935 Lionel Train.

Started by Judge2007, October 10, 2023, 10:50:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judge2007

I need additional track for an old Lionel Train. The current track is 3 rail and tubular. Sources? 

Regards G

Len

In 1935 Lionel had to sizes of tubular 3-rail track. There was "Standard Gauge", with the outside rails 2-1/8" apart, and "O-gauge" with outside rails 1-1/4" apart.

If you need "Standard Gauge", MTH did some a while back. You can still find it at some on-line retailers and on eBay. You can also find use 'Standard Gauge" track on eBay. If you go the used route, be sure to check the insulators on the center 'hot' rail. If torn, or missing, it will create a short to the outside rails. It's fairly simple to replace missing or damaged insulators with new ones cut from file folder card stock.

If you need regular "O-gauge" track, any of the modern 3-rail tracks will work. If you want tubular track for the nostalgia factor, again many on-line retailers still have it available.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

trainman203

A 1935 Lionel train? And it still runs? I'm surprised that thing isn't in the hands of a collector.

Len

Quote from: trainman203 on October 11, 2023, 05:26:52 PMA 1935 Lionel train? And it still runs? I'm surprised that thing isn't in the hands of a collector.

One thing I learned fairly quickly when my repair shop was open, in spite of what some eBay sellers claim, not all pre-war Lionel trains are all that valuable. Some things are common enough you'll see them at just about any train show you go to. Others really do belong in a museum. Hard to say without specifics.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.