Detail Piece Location on Santa Fe 2-8-0 Consolidation

Started by WCMRR, October 14, 2023, 02:15:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WCMRR

Bachman BALDWIN 2-8-0 - SANTA FE #2525 - Model: 57910

Hey Train folks I found a detail piece in the plastic shell taking out my steamer and I'm not sure where it goes.
I did check the included parts diagram and checked images online, but I couldn't determine where it was located on the loco.

Detail Photo

Product Page

Thank you
-Matt

Len

If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Tenwheeler01

I do believe that is part of the driver suspension springs.  So if look at the top of the frame between the drives one should be missing. Looking at my 2-8-0s it looks like only the front two drive sets have the detail part. 

WCMRR

Thanks all, that was it and it was the first set of drivers fireman side. Now I need a steady hand to see if I can tweezer it back in place.

Appreciate the help!

-Matt

trainman203

Use a little dot of Walthers Goo on each tip to secure it and leave it slightly flexible.

This is a level of detail that Bachmann pioneered in plastic, ready to run steam engines with this very locomotive, the pioneering consolidation.  You have to been in Model Railroading  before Spectrum Steam engines were introduced to appreciate this.   We ran lumps of cast zinc that sort of looked like steam locomotives that would not run slower than a Scale 20 miles an hour.  They are for sale all over eBay today. We were truly happy with those turkeys, before the Bachmann. consolidation and subsequent additional spectrum engines showed us how things could really be, highly detailed, affordable, and great running too.  With DCC I can get my consolidations to crawl at one crosstie every 30 seconds or more.

Tenwheeler01

Before Bachamnn spectrum the best we could get was separately applied handrails in the ready to run locos.  Other wise you would have to leaner how to build the MDC and Bowers kits. Or if you could afford Brass.

trainman203

Well now, to be fair!  I seem to remember my Varney Casey Jones having seperately applied whistle and pop valves too! 

You literally could not super detail those cast zinc kit locomotives by Varney, Mantua, or MDC. Those boilers would break any bit you tried to drill a hole with.

I remember you could buy a replacement boiler for the Mantua Mikado to make it into a USRA engine.  I never did it but someone I met later on did do it and said they came out pretty good.

Most of these zinc locomotives are overscaled too.  Put an elephantine MDC Harriman consolidation next to the Bachmann one and see what I mean.