News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

3 by 5 ft ho layout?

Started by train_guy2511, October 09, 2023, 03:56:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

train_guy2511

hello, its been long while. getting the fever again for trains. would appreciate info on how much track i would need to make the above layout? an what i would need for curves. i wish to make an oval 3 by 5 ft. nothing bigger, have very limited space. thank you:)

Len

If your space is literally 3'x5' you're pretty much limited to 15" radius curves in HO. Which really limits what locos and cars you can run. If you're talking 18" radius, measured center of the rails to center of the rails, HO curves, you'll need at least a 38" wide table. 40" would be better.

If you're that limited on space, you might want to consder going with N scale instead of HO.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

train_guy2511

ty len for your reply. question answered. tyvm:)

trainman203

In your space, N scale may be the only way you can really get much done Railroad-wise.  In a couple of years we are going to be moving someplace near the children.  I know that it certainly will be a much smaller space than what I have now with my nice 50 foot long by 18 inch shelf Railroad.  So I'm probably going to be looking at N scale too.  And unable to use my nice HO collection of 75+\-locomotives and 500+\- cars. 😭😭.

I have heard from multiple sources that N scale is best suited to layouts featuring continuous loop operation with the emphasis on scenery. With very light locomotives, track cleaning becomes a very real problem and switching is not a particularly viable option since the little cars are so light. Active N scalers with different experience may want to report.

jward

The biggest problems I had in N scale with switching were due to two factors.

1. Most of the cars had truck mounted couplers. I had invested quite a lot of time and money into body mounting couplers and it helped quitw a bit. But assembling MicroTrains coupler boxes is not for the faint of heart or the visually challenged.

2. The speed curve on N scale locomotives is far different than those of HO. Locomotives tend to run much faster, and start at higher speeds. There ARE good, smooth, slow running locomotives out there. But unless you know what you are buying they are hit or miss. Even some of the high end, well regarded brands fail the speed test miserably.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA