News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EZ Track troubles

Started by Jim-Bo Trains, October 15, 2023, 07:42:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim-Bo Trains

My son and I are trying out the hobby for the first time. We purchased some used EZ Track and had some limited success sending around a locomotive. However we've noticed a dead zone directly across the loop from the rerailer terminal. You can see where it is happening in this video that we uploaded a few days ago https://youtu.be/YMkyDZw3Jv0?si=s7ExW3LJ642vdgaZ (this was happening before the dog interference, so we know that's not the issue).

We'e tried cleaning both the track and the locomotive wheels with no change in the result. I just switched out the section where the train often stops, but it continues to stop. Now it is stopping the section before the one that was switched out.

One thing I've read is perhaps we need another rerailer on the opposite side to provide more power?

We're brand new and a lot of this is way beyond our expertise. Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

BobZ

Check the connectors (short rail joiner) between the sections where the loco is stopping. If a rail connector (short rail joiner) is missing on each end of a section you will probably lose power.

Ralph S

If what "BobZ's" request that you do doesn't solve the problem.  Then try this.

Since you indicated that you purchased some EZ track (assuming that this track was purchased from someone other than being brand new).  Bachmann makes a gapped track Model 44597.  From your U-tube video it looks like that the section of track could be a gapped section of track.  It looks the same as the standard model track (model 44511).

Once the locomotive passed over the gap, it may loose its connectivity.  One would think that that should not occur, which then one could conclude that there are two of these gapped track on your layout.  Therefore, check all of your track to determine if all the track is of the standard model EZ 44511 and not the gapped model 44597.

Note:  The gapped track rail will have a small gap in the center of the 9-inch EZ track, again this is model 44597.
Also, the video didn't show the locomotive traveling in the opposite direction with the same effect.  If the locomotive travels in the opposite direction satisfactorily, then there is another issue presenting itself.

Hope this helps.