News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

swap DCC and sound cards

Started by jaguar10, October 16, 2023, 03:35:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaguar10

I have a 4-6-2 light pacific (with WOW sound) that runs great with DC and makes good whistle sounds. The DCC pins and socket appear to match with my 2-8-4 Berkshire that makes no whistle sounds.
What will happen if I connect the 4-6-2 tender to the 2-8-4 loco?  They both use the same motor.

Tenwheeler01

Last month I accidentally plugged and older 2-8-0 spectrum tender into a newer 2-8-0 loco. (Now these are the same models just sever years apart) and I blow out the led light and loco would only run backwards.  So the wiring was different between between the two.  So I wound up having to take apart a brand new 2-8-0 apart all the way to the frame then separate the frame to replace the LED head light.     

My Berkshire has the two connects similar to the 2-8-0, 2-10-0, PRR 4-6-2 and the 4-8-2. The not the one 9 pin connect like the USRA 4-6-2 and 2-8-2 use.  Now I am just using the internal NMRA 8 pin DCC connector on the Berkshire's light board to plug in a TSU-2 via a 8 to 9 pin whip and there is also already a spot molded into the tender floor for a 28MM speaker.  Just have to solder two wires.   Now with the NMRA 8 pin to JST 9 pin whip you can plug in a WOW 101. There is plenty of room in the Berkshires tender. 

trainman203

Did you try a cv8 reset on the 2-8-0?

Tenwheeler01

The wire pin out between the loco and tender has been changed between the runs that have the DCC ready tenders with out a speaker mount and the newer runs with tenders with the speaker mount.  Power is the same but one headlight wire has been swapped with one of the motor wires. So pop goes the LED and strange motor behavior.  Issue resolved buy plugging the tender that came with that loco back into the loco.

all my older Spectrum 2-8-0s have the same wire pin out and orange colored connectors.  The new non spectrum labeled 2-8-0 has a diff tent wire pin out and orange colored connectors.

May older Spectrum 2-10-0 have orange colored connectors New Spectrum 2-10-0 (WOW version) white colored connectors wire pin out in different (L and R swapped and motor and head light swapped).