News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

1980s Flying Scot Set HO or OO

Started by hioo01, October 30, 2023, 11:04:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hioo01

I have a few sets my dad purchased in the 1980s in the US, the Flying Scot, The Orient Express and The Battle of Britain sets, all look to have similar passenger cars and loco (a 4-6-0) and I was hoping to purchase a DCC locomotive that would work well with these coaches. So my question is, are these trains actually HO like it says on the box, or are they OO that were just marketed as HO in the US? I've scoured the internet and I'm leaning toward them actually being OO but I figured I'd ask the experts!

the Bach-man

Dear Hi,
I believe you are correct; they are OO.
They are great sets! Enjoy them!
the Bach-man

trainman203

Even being 00, they do run on a true HO track, right? That's important so that the OP can find the locomotive. He's looking for to pull his cars.

the Bach-man

Yes, they will, and Bachmann UK will have an appropriate locomotive.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Ken Huck

I found this string quite interesting.  Enough so that I found this.

https://www.scalemodelscenery.co.uk/blogs/whats-the-difference-between-oo-and-ho-scale-or-gauge

It appears that only similarity of the two is the track gauge.  The distance between the rails.

HO "SCALE" is 1/87
OO "SCALE" is 1/76.2

So, OO "SCALE" (using HO  scale track) would actually be a 'narrow gauge'.

HTH
Ken

Len

16.5mm track used for OO gauge comes out to 4ft 1.5in, rather than 4ft 8.5in standard guage. Making it a narrower gauge, but not any recognizable narrow gauge.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

hioo01

QuoteDear Hi,
I believe you are correct; they are OO.
They are great sets! Enjoy them!
the Bach-man

Just what I needed to know, thank you! I've been running them for years on regular HO track, I just upgraded to DCC and would like to still get some use out of them!