News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New Bachmann On30 Whitcomb Diesel

Started by Fred Klein, November 10, 2023, 12:27:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fred Klein

Well, I've been saving my pennies and finally had enough to indulge myself with a Bachmann Spectrum Whitcomb 50-ton Diesel #29201. It just arrived today and, after unpacking it, all I can say is that I am one happy camper. Again, Bachman did a great job with this locomotive.

First impressions: Lifting the Spectrum box out of its shipping packaging requires muscle - this is one heavy engine. It weighs a ton (well perhaps 50 O-scale tons :D). The locomotive came securely packaged in its suspended plastic sleeve and a quick examination revealed no obvious damage. Running the engine around my layout was pure joy. The loco runs very smooth (probably due to the weight) and quiet, with no discernible side-to-side sway. Acceleration was very smooth and it had no problems negotiating the 15-inch radius curves on my layout, even at max throttle on my Digitrax controller. Since I do not have any grades on the layout, I can't speak to how well it will do on an incline. Bachmann includes the horn and the bell as separate items and provides instructions on how to mount them. This involves removing the shell and drilling two small holes at the spots so designated.

Between this locomotive and the wood-sided side door caboose that I purchased a couple of months ago, to say that I'm impressed would be an understatement. I'm overjoyed!!

Keep up the good work, Bachmann!

Fred Klein
Okeechobee, FL

the Bach-man