STORE
"ASK THE BACH MAN"
FORUM
PARTS, SERVICE,
& INFORMATION
CATALOGS AND
BROCHURES

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 05, 2022, 02:28:32 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Check out the photo gallery link above or >click here< to see photos of recently announced products!
+  Bachmann Message Board
|-+  Discussion Boards
| |-+  Thomas & Friends
| | |-+  James Pilot Truck Derailing
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: James Pilot Truck Derailing  (Read 326 times)
railtwister

View Profile
« on: April 13, 2022, 03:57:37 PM »

My club is currently displaying model railroad modules in five different scales (O 3-rail, G, HO, N, and On30) at a local museum this summer until October first. The On30 layout is new, it is a table-top modular layout using Kato HO UniTrack in a format similar to T-TRAK HO, but running Bachmann On30 trains instead of HO. These modules were just stated in August of 2021, and as yet have no scenery except for some O gauge Plasticville USA structures.

Saturdays are different however, on this layout, because we run mostly Thomas and Friends HO equipment by Bachmann, to the delight of the kids (instead of On30). No one seems to mind that there is no scenery yet, and the Plasticville buildings are a bit too big for Thomas trains.

One of the favorite characters besides Thomas himself, is James, the red 2-6-0 engine. Unfortunately, James has had an ongoing problem with his lead truck perpetually derailing (not every lap, but about 1 in five times around). It was determined that the OEM lead truck spring was applying so much pressure on the truck that it was impeding the lateral mobility, causing it to come off the track on curves. While troubleshooting, I removed the spring entirely which seemed to alleviate the problem entirely. This saved me the trouble of finding a softer spring spring that would still fit (the drawbar spring seems a lot softer, but is out of stock in Bachmann’s parts dept) or trying to add a weight to the truck itself. That removing the spring worked surprised me, so I’m posting this observation just in case anyone else is having trouble with their “James” coming off the track…
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: