News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Big Hauler Smoke Not Working

Started by rbrpguy, November 20, 2023, 09:06:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbrpguy

Hi. Just purchased Bachmann Cow Catcher starter set. Brand new, right out of the box. Love it, runs smooth, Sound is crisp and clear. Smoker does not produce any smoke. My research indicated that one possible cause may be that the controller must be run at least 80% to provide the proper voltage. Because of the small around the base of my Christmas tree layout, I have been running at 50% because I am leery about derailing and damaging the train. Are my findings valid? If so, what are my options and solutions if any. Also, is the light on the coal tender on this model supposed to work in reverse? Thanks! (Model #90040)

wraujr

Take no offense, but have to ask the obvious: Did you turn on smoke switch under boiler door on front of loco?

Sample image here:
https://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=69_629&products_id=9952

wraujr

As to the tender light, if there are two pairs of wires (i.e. two 2-pin connectors) between loco and tender, then yes tender light should illuminate in reverse.
If only one pair of wires/connector (chuff sound), then no tender light.

rbrpguy

rbrpguy

Thanks! Only one set of wires. I am sure I can add a light 

Loco Bill Canelos

The instructions say to run it at 80% have you tried doing that??  The reason I mention it is that the smoke circuit is connected directly to the speed controller settings.  This heats a coil in the smoke unit. Also If you put in too much smoke fluid it takes more power to heat the coil.

Welcome to the forum and have fun with your new set!

Loco Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

rbrpguy

Hi Loco Bill Canelos! Yes, I cautiously sped it up to 80% and I did smell the coil heating up and saw just a trace of smoke, with the recommended 4 to 6 drops of fluid. Not real impressive. The problem going over 50% is the cows in the Cow Freight Car get jammed in the window and don't bob in and out. That is more important to me than the smoke. I may hook up a direct rechargeable battery pack to the smoke unit or replace with an aftermarket unit that requires less voltage. Thanks for the welcome! I hope to contribute as I dive deeper into model railroading. Having fun so far!

Greg Elmassian

Yeah, buy a 5v seuth unit, and then add a 5 volt regulator and you will get smoke at less than the speed of light.

Greg
Visit my site: lots of tips and techniques: http://www.elmassian.com

Loco Bill Canelos

You are welcome!  The Bachmann Smoke unit never was known for great smoke output. As much as I like smoke I never use it due to the mess factor. The residue from the smoke coats the locomotive over time and it is a pain to remove.  I would reconsider if the smoke was black. 8)

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!