News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Minimum radius for bachmann products

Started by MCR, March 05, 2008, 06:18:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yampa Bob

I should know by now not to include information in my posts that is debatable LOL

A friend sent me a passenger car, he said it was a Pullman and it measured 86'.  That's all I know.  I should have just said "long passenger cars may not look right on smaller track".  Here we go again.  :D :D

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

grumpy

I have a Bachman 4-8-2 heavy  with DCC and sound and it is not a stretch to go around my layout which is all 18"curves.
Don :D

SteamGene

Don, you lucked out.  Or do you travel at 5 mph?  In any event, what about the overhang?  What tender do you have?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

hotrainlover

I just found out that my Bachmann 2-10-2 will NOT work well,(If at all) on anything less that 22' curves.  All by other locos, including the Bigboy, and challenger Will.....

NOW I need to broaden the curves...Again!!!    :-[

Yampa Bob

Enlighten me please.

If a 2-8-0 works on 18", why not a 4-8-2?  Same number of drive wheels, the pilot and trailing trucks swivel so wouldn't it be the same?  Is it just the appearance?

I don't have any 4-8-2,  just the Connies, and I run them full bore with no problems. I can see where 10 drive wheels would have a problem and not look too good. I mistakenly bought some 55' box cars, they looked bad on my 18", so I chopped them down to 45'.  Now I only buy 40' cars.  I think my success with smaller track is due to perfect trackwork, properly weighted cars and Kadee couplers. 

For a time 40' box cars were somewhat scarce. Now there are many to choose from.  Is this due to the growing market for the smaller radius sets?   I don't know what the ratios are and don't really care, but with more young people starting up, the smaller sets may be greatly outnumbering the super layouts.

Reality is that many simply do not have the space or resources for larger layouts.  I'm pushing the limit with a 4 X 8, but it will accomodate 22" if I expand.  Now that I think of it, more elderly folks like me are looking at model railroading as a diversion, and most of us don't want the hobby to be an all encompassing part of our limited days.

Sure I enjoy my trains, but I have other priorities also.

Bob

hotrainlover

Bob,
I have (2)  (Bachmann "Lite Mountains ") 4-8-2's that run great on 18" curves.  I just have to make sure the SCENERY is not too close.  With the Bigboy, and Challenger running on my layout, I have already adjusted my scenery as needed: though. ;D

Guilford Guy

The light mountains will work on 18" radii, while the Heavy's will not. I believe the Heavy 4-8-2 has a longer wheelbase than both the light and the connie, but am not positive.
Alex

Yampa Bob

hotrainlover

Bob,
I fixed the Bachmann 2-10-2 to run on my layout!!  It seems that the Southern unit Cab roof hits the Tender top.  I just filed the tender coal frame to an angle, instead of a "Box" corner.  Now it tracks curves perfectly!!  It still hates my only #4 switch...  In any direction!!! ;D

SteamGene

It's not just the number of drivers, but the diameter of the drivers as well.  Take a x-8-x and put these numbers in for the "8": 56", 65", 72", 80" - see what happens to the length of the frame?  With articulated - most non-brass articulated cheat.  In brass and the real ones, the rear engine is fixed and does not swivel.  But Rivarossi, Bachmann, BLI, etc, allow both engines to swivel.  Big difference in the ability to traverse a tight radii - but the overhang is still there.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

r.cprmier

Gene;
You and I (plus many others) know that marketing is the steam that drives the sellers to provide articulateds that have both fore and aft drivers swiveled.  If they didn't do that, then their sales would drop precipitously.

Bob;
One of the considerations I made, considering my steam roster, was to be totally uncompromising with not just radii, but the use of easement curves, and superelevation.  The latter two do work admirably well as I have found this time (and the past layout as well);  No mainline radius will be any sharper than 38" radius; I don't give a hang about the size and what the rest of the layout will have to be limited to; I can always go another level If I am that hot to have a lot of track.  I will NOT compromise on radius, trackwork, turnout degree, etc.

In "Guitar Player" magazine many years ago, a comment was made in one of Jeff Baxter's editorials that "Many a battle of the bands was won by just one note!".  In a way, that thesis parallels the abovementioned tenets.

Rich 
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Yampa Bob

With my small layout, I have to make compromises, the major one is limiting the size of my cars to 40' or less.  I have considered getting a couple of 0-6-0 or Richmond 4-4-0,  but at the present I am very pleased with the Connies, which are now 0-8-0.

The only problem I had was with the pilot trucks, they are now in a drawer and not missed.

Bob

MCR

And how much is 40' in millimeters (mm)?

Thanks everybody for the info, i'll let you know when i decide which locos will run on my layout.

Miguel

WoundedBear

40 scale feet or 40 actual feet? ;)

I'm assuming 40 HO scale feet....

3.5mm=1 HO scale foot.

40 X 3.5 = 140mm

Sid