News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

End of Train signal

Started by hgcHO, February 24, 2008, 05:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hgcHO

Looked in the index of Manufactures on line and Ring is gray thus can not click on link.  So looked on back page and index of Walthers 2008 Reference Book but no Ring Industries listed.

Have just emailed my Hobby shop and inquired.

Any input concerning EOT device is appreciated.       thanks for your help ninnypooper

HGC

hgcHO

Your the person.   

Thank you -  have the site bookmarked.   cool

HGC

SteamGene

I agree, caboose for freight, observation for passenger.  So much easier and so much nicer.  Get the conductor out of the engineer's hair. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Woody Elmore

I just realized what "EOT" means. It's the blinking light on the rear of freight trains. Ugh. Give me a caboose any day.

I'm still trying to accept the fact that all diesels do not look the same which is a strange notion for a steam engine guy like me.

SteamGene

Woody,
They don't?  Other than the paint scheme?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

James Hail

Nothing but rolling generators..........Welders on wheels......Gimme Steam Any Day.I do like the looks of The F units.......even though they killed off the boilers,The rest of the sludge sippers look horrid.

I will never forget riding our Nickel Plate here in indiana. What a machine!
Jim
Currently landscaping and ballasting a 4x10 HO.....using a NCE DCC PowerCab and Having a Blast.[move]

Running Bear

Running Bear

hgcHO

ninnypooper thank you again - just received my order of the EOT [end of train device] and like the instruction [they even give a little history] hinted at  - five minutes later flashing red at the end on my train.. 

Works on DC or DCC

That is the site KCS 1,  that I followed up on. thanks also for you input.

HGC

Clear Block

FWIW .
The End Of Train device  was a drastic cost savings for railroads that were trying to compete with the ever increasing truck traffic.

The companies figured out that buy putting this "lifeless" brakeman named "FRED" (Flashing Rear End Device) to the rear of all trains indicating that they are complete, they would no longer need the rear brakeman and conductor to man watch in the caboose. 
Sadly for fan's but in their eyes effectively cutting the crews down to 3 men crews, and as we see today some railroad even cut off the brakeman all together and run with just and engineer and conductor to save money and increase the unemployment line.

In the beginning days of our lifeless brakeman "FRED"  many railroaders of the era; the F in his name had another no so pleasant designation the likes of which I will not post here for obvious reasons.
I am a modeler of the transition era so FRED is not employed by my railroad.

ninnypooper

I believe I answered the gentleman's question.

Woody Elmore

Redtail - I think there are lots of people who agree with you. I always thought that the caboose added a lot of interest to a train. Unfortunately, they were not cost effective and were replaced with a blinking light.

Seriously, from a modeling point of view, I give the modelers who put working EOT devices on trains a thumbs up. They look nice and take some work to do.