News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

How to increase sound level

Started by mlp, December 01, 2023, 09:52:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mlp

I have a Bachmann 2-8-4 Berkshire Steam Locomotive & Tender -- DCC Sound Value Equipped NICKEL PLATE #765,HO gauge and I want to increase the sound volume.  I need detailed instructions for a novice who does not know what a CV is or how to access it to change it.  Thank you.

trainman203

1.  You need a DCC system that can manipulate CVS. EZ command cannot do it.

2. Once you get that, it's pretty easy to change CVs.  You have to read the instructions for whatever system you use how to change CVs but I can assure you it's not difficult.

To start, here are the default volume settings:

https://soundtraxx.com/content/Reference/Factory-Installed/Bachmann/SoundValue/bachmann_ho_284berkshire_sv.pdf

3.   The most important CV is 128, the master volume control. It's easy to get it too loud and eventually blow the speaker. I see the default setting is 225.  I think that's a little too loud actually, but you can run it all the way up to 255 if you want, just be careful about distortion, especially with the whistle, which means that damage can occur.

4.  The next thing is balancing the sounds so it sounds like a real engine.  None of the CV values should exceeded the master volume in 128.

5.  Typically the whistle is loudest, it will drown out everything.  This is CV 129.   it's default. Setting is too loud at 225. Then, the chuff value will be next loudest, CV 131.  Then the bell, CV 130.  The bell should not be heard over the Whistle, that is a common error.

I don't have that engine, so I'm not sure what the ultimate optimum values really are. You'll have to play with them until they get somewhere near the balance described above

You said you wanted the engine louder.  to me, the default settings are too loud already. Be careful as you go with this.

I used to want all my engines to be extremely loud also and I did it for a while until I destroyed two or three speakers.  it's disappointing to realize that you have to have the engines sound quieter to save the speaker but that's how it is unfortunately.