STORE
"ASK THE BACH MAN"
FORUM
PARTS, SERVICE,
& INFORMATION
CATALOGS AND
BROCHURES

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 06, 2022, 04:04:18 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<
+  Bachmann Message Board
|-+  Discussion Boards
| |-+  On30
| | |-+  Any new product for On30 from Bachmann Trains
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Any new product for On30 from Bachmann Trains  (Read 1164 times)
NP2626

View Profile
« on: May 10, 2022, 06:36:34 AM »

Is there any plans for new Bachmann On30 equipment?  I am started on my second year of building an On30 layout and instead of seeing less and less Steam locomotives, I'd like to see More and more!  I realize that the company is leery of stating exactly what is going on (we're bringing out a X type steamer).  So, can you give me general information, like the On30 line is alive and well here at Bachmann?

Thanks!

Mark DeSchane, Park Rapids, MN
Fred Klein

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2022, 10:53:14 AM »

Mark, I'm with you. I would love to see some more locomotives, even if they are just a re-issue of previous engines, like Shays, Heislers and/or Rail Trucks and Buses. Also, some more passenger cars would be nice. However, if you look at the Bachmann 2022 catalog, you will see that they list a bunch of new rolling stock (at least they're labeled "NEW").
While not engines, at least to me, it seems to show that they haven't completely forgotten about On30. All we can do is hope that what we would like to see will happen at some point.

Fred Klein
Okeechobee, FL
NP2626

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2022, 08:06:35 AM »

Fred, thanks for your reply.  Where is the Bach-Mann, I'd like to hear from the Horse's Mouth what is in the works?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 08:09:02 AM by NP2626 » Logged
p51

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2022, 03:28:00 PM »

While not engines, at least to me, it seems to show that they haven't completely forgotten about On30. All we can do is hope that what we would like to see will happen at some point.
I don't know for sure, but I got the impression that the 'trench' engines were already on the books before Lee Riley passed away. After that and the army rolling stock (which was just new painted/lettered versions of the shorty cars already available), the 2-6-0 which was modified into a 0-6-0 was pretty much it.
I think that Bachmann really flooded the market for a while, as you could get any of their On30 stuff for small amounts for a while, before it all started to dry up. Like many of you, I really wish I'd taken better advantage of that (especially another ET&WNC ten wheeler, just to set aside).
It's odd how it all dried up almost overnight. It went from $20 cars from retailers being common, to MSRP in a very short timeframe.

-Lee
Fred Klein

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2022, 12:47:20 AM »

Lee, I think you're right on the money with Bachmann flooding the market and that it has now dried up. By kind of "ignoring" On30 for a while, however, I think that they are neglecting any new customers that would like to explore more of On30 and instead, driving them to HO. This may be their intent since HO is the most popular scale and they already have a large manufacturing base for it.

As far as On30 is concerned, I'm not one to advocate for new releases in today's economy (by new I mean something that they have not made in the past). Instead, I think re-releases of products that they (Bachmann) already have the tooling for and which have been out of their product line for a while might serve to whet the appetites of customers sitting on the fence as to scale and create some sales. And if it would be financially feasible, perhaps add some improvements to those products. Metal gears come to mind. Anyway, that's my two cents worth - FWIW.

Fred Klein
Okeechobee, FL
ScottyB

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2022, 10:38:08 AM »

Yup p51! I remember St Aubins ads for 3 freight cars for $39. Those were the days. All my On30 non sound engines were sub $100.

That said, the price was only part of the on30 hey day. It was the cool engines that did it. The shay and climax. If they get reissued (with proper gears) I think the scale would get a few more fans.

Unfortunately, it's losing more. I see Larry Burk is going HO. Loved his work. Other companies are producing Heislers and Shays this summer in HO which I think may be driving some converts back.

I still think Bachmann is missing out on a market with freight cars. I'd still like to see Accurail style one-evening freight car kits. On30ers like tinkering.

But, that's why I don't own a model railroad manufacturer. What do I know?

On30 for me, HO... nope now it's an N scale layout for my two kids!
2foot6

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2022, 07:32:58 PM »

But, that's why I don't own a model railroad manufacturer. What do I know?

Surely the customers aren't always wrong. Shocked....without customers you don't have a business. Undecided Lips Sealed..............Peter.
BRYAN765

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2022, 03:25:31 PM »

What I'd like to see is a large engine done in On30 such as an EBT or WP&Y 2-8-2.  I feel like the apex of On30 line was the 4-6-0.  I realize we're talking 36" gauge prototypes but the ability to run a larger "O" scale train with an HO footprint is what really got me interested in starting an On30 layout.  When the engines started becoming smaller and not matching well with each other I felt like I might as well stick with HO.
p51

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2022, 01:55:58 PM »

While a EBT loco would be a great idea, many modelers don't maintain clearances needed for that size on their layouts.
But if you wanna have something that size, i still believe the Army 2-8-2s from Ww2 would be great for that. Many of them were run all over the world and several still run on tourist operations to this day.
Here's one I shot sitting behind the Skagway museum next to the White Pass mainline:

They'd also have great appeal to anyone modelling anything foreign.
What I'd like to see is a large engine done in On30 such as an EBT or WP&Y 2-8-2.  I feel like the apex of On30 line was the 4-6-0.  I realize we're talking 36" gauge prototypes but the ability to run a larger "O" scale train with an HO footprint is what really got me interested in starting an On30 layout.  When the engines started becoming smaller and not matching well with each other I felt like I might as well stick with HO.
That's the problem with narrow gauge, as you run a wide spectrum.
For example, D&RGW ran engines that were standard gauge, but re-gauged for 3-foot. But some other locos looked like scale models. Alongside one of another (as model railroaders are apt to do), I agree it looks odd together.
For example, the Army Baldwin 'trench' Class 10 loco I have looks like a toy next to the ET&WNC ten-wheelers I otherwise run.

-Lee
Ken Clark

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2022, 12:09:59 PM »

Add 40 Ton Class B and 60 Ton Class C  Shays, built for Braden Copper in Chile, off the wall  Baldwin Class 75B outside frame 2-8-2, built for the Patagonia National system (25) all 2 foot gauge.

Considering converting one of my Bachmann OF 2-8-0 to a OF 4-6-0, could be easier said then done.
Fred Klein

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2022, 01:03:34 AM »

I just posted about getting some On30 18' low-side gondolas at a reasonable price. Check it out if you're interested.

Fred Klein
Okeechobee, FL
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: