International Style Hook & Loop couplers to Kadee

Started by ianb26, December 08, 2023, 08:27:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ianb26

Hi there,

I am wondering if anyone can help me. I have just purchased a "Bachmann Trains - British Brake Van Track Cleaning CAR - DEPARTMENTAL #LDB952490 (Electrification) with International Style Hook & Loop couplers - HO", from a well known online store. (Not arriving until 24 December 2023)

I will need to change the couplers to Kadee to match my loco couplers. Can anyone advise which Kadee coupler to use, and any instructions that maybe helpful.

Thank you in advance.

ianb26
(Australia)

trainman203

Kadee themselves will help you, either through their website or direct phone call.

Terry Toenges

That might be hard to do since the hook couplers are raised on "pegs" underneath. You would probably have to cut those off to mount the Kadee boxes. Then I don't know about the height issues. The Kadee website is showing NEM type couplers as a conversion for  Bachmann's Thomas cars. Thomas cars have hook and loop.  I don't know  how that would work.

https://www.kadee.com/hocc_bachmann
------------------------
https://www.kadee.com/shop-by-category/couplers/ho-scale-couplers/20-ho-scale-nem-362-european-style-couplers-extra-long-11-68mm-460-inch-2964
Feel like a Mogul.

Len

Converting 'Hook & Loop' cars with "Thomas" style coupler mountings, without NEM coupler pockets, is a royal pain. It can be done, I did a few for customers when my repair shop was open, but you really have to watch the coupler height and clearances. Look for videos on how to do it before starting if you are going to try it yourself.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Terry Toenges

If I was going to try to do something like that, I might cut the hook end off and super glue a knucklehead to the hook shaft. Use that car as a transition car with knuckle on one end and hook on  the other if you wanted to run more hook cars.
Feel like a Mogul.

ianb26

Thanks for your replies. I might wait until the item arrives, and then look at them. I believe the couplers are the ones on the Thomas family products. From what I've seen on a Youtube review of the cleaning car, they are quite a solid looking item, not like the Horny tension lock couplers which are almost the same design.

Re contacting through the Kadee website or a phone call to them, me being in Australia and Kadee in the USA,I think a phone call can be ruled out.

Thanks again for replies.

ianb26

Len

A quick check of the Kadee website shows they recommend the #148 coupler and #252 coupler pocket for converting cars with 'Thomas' style hook & loop couplers.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.