STORE
"ASK THE BACH MAN"
FORUM
PARTS, SERVICE,
& INFORMATION
CATALOGS AND
BROCHURES

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 03, 2022, 01:39:12 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<
+  Bachmann Message Board
|-+  Discussion Boards
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Packaging HO Engines, cars, and buildings for moving
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Packaging HO Engines, cars, and buildings for moving  (Read 318 times)
rstrim695

View Profile
« on: May 15, 2022, 11:47:33 AM »

I am going to be moving out of state this year and would like any suggestions on how to package HO scale engines, cars, and buildings for the move. If there are any types of packaging materials that maybe better than others please suggest. I am going to be moving from the midwest to the southeast. So the better everything can be packaged for the move the better. Thank-you.
Trainman203

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2022, 03:41:19 PM »

https://ppw-aline.com/collections/a-line-hobby-tote-system-ho-n-scales
Piyer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2022, 03:05:03 AM »

I am going to be moving out of state this year and would like any suggestions on how to package HO scale engines, cars, and buildings for the move. If there are any types of packaging materials that maybe better than others please suggest. I am going to be moving from the midwest to the southeast. So the better everything can be packaged for the move the better. Thank-you.

I moved from NYC to St Louis in 2016 by U-haul, this was my method:

If the rolling stock didn't have its original box, it got wrapped in tissue paper and then bubble wrap (small bubbles), and then that went into a plastic "Really Useful Box" A4 / 4.5 or 9 quart sizes. Three 4q or 1 4q and one 9q fit in a standard "small" moving box (often called a book box size). I then used old newspaper, or bubble wrap to secure the boxes inside the cardboard box.

If the model was still in its original box, the box got a heavy wrap of bubble wrap, and were placed in the moving box with the window side of the box facing inward. With lots of padding where needed. These were book boxes too - 90% of the boxes were to make loading the truck easier. If you are using a moving company, I would strongly recommend color coding the boxes - I used black, red, blue, or white duct tape fully encircling the boxes for heavy, fragile, clothing, and crushable.

Kits got padding and tetrised as best as possible.

Completed structures were wrapped with tissue paper and bubble wrap, then inserted into boxes with pink foam insulation as an internal defense against crushing, I then created an environmental disaster by running perfectly good printer paper through a paper shredder and used that as packing material around the models. I did the same for the china cabinet full of my parents and grandparents antiques.

It *might* have been overkill, but everything that went on the truck in one piece came off it in the same condition. (an antique dresser fell off the dolly while being loaded in NYC, but I didn't do it, so....) 

~AJ Kleipass~
Actively modeling in N, HO, and 2-rail O scales.
Ralph S

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2022, 05:36:51 PM »

Well, I must admit you did a great job of moving your trains.

I've moved my trains from home...Georgia, to Missouri, to Idaho, then to California, and to New Mexico.  Of course, the box or the boxes kept getting larger and more of them as I moved from one state to another.   My blessings is that I also loved the boxes that they were bought in.  So with those being kept in the boxes, moving them was quite easy.  The hard part was putting them back into the box and retaking them out again. 

Now that I've been given an extraordinarily large number of train cars and now retired and I'm thinking that I won't move again, I'm wondering why I'm keeping all those train boxes, let alone the extras I recieved that don't have boxes.
Trainman203

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2022, 09:25:46 AM »

Accurail sells their boxes, for 40 and 50 cars.  Along with lots of other cool parts, they are here.

http://www.accurail.com/accurail/parts.htm

Stirrups and brakewheels for upgrades are here too.
Piyer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2022, 04:18:46 PM »

Now that I've been given an extraordinarily large number of train cars and now retired and I'm thinking that I won't move again, I'm wondering why I'm keeping all those train boxes, let alone the extras I received that don't have boxes.

Ralph, I have a lot of equipment going back to my start in the hobby in the late 1980s. Those boxes are long gone. The Athearn blue boxes have, of course, lingered as handy storage boxes for bits and bobs, with more recent acquisitions replacing the truly worn out ones. Much of my more recent purchases have been used equipment from "antique mall stalls" or auction sites, often without boxes. While I love to drool over the models that come out today with DCC & Sound, often (thankfully) they are from eras too new or too old for my modeling time frames (multiple scales and themes). And while I am not necessarily at the point where I am done moving, I am not particularly looking forward to having to move again - I might have gone on a hoarding spree during the pandemic as a stress reliever.... AHEM! I'm probably a couple of models shy of landing myself on Hoarders. 

~AJ Kleipass~
Actively modeling in N, HO, and 2-rail O scales.
Ralph S

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2022, 07:05:19 PM »

Please don't wind up on that Hoarders TV show, unless your train layout is operating at peak efficiency.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: