News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New 4-8-4 Model Suggestions

Started by fuchst, December 08, 2023, 10:22:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fuchst

I saw there a post along these lines, but was older than 120 days so I will start a new post.   

I think a great 4-8-4 locomotive to offer would the Timken Four Aces which became Northern Pacific 2626.  My reasons are that it would only require a new shell and 73 inch spoked drivers.  I had a friend that pass away 20 years ago, but he wanted to create this engine using a Bachmann chassis.  When we both knew he was not going survive cancer, I asked to buy some of his engines.  Along with these were some parts for future projects he had researched and planned to make; 2626 was one of these engines and a start on a tender. Four Aces/2626 uses the same tender as Bachmann's 4-6-4 J3. The Timken engine demonstrated Timken's roller bearings, as well as, other proprietary steam engine appliances and changed the railroad industry. It demonstrated on the New York Central, and around 15 other major railroads, including C&O, New Haven, Pennsylvania, Northern Pacific, CB&Q, Nickel Plate, MP, as well as others.  It was built as duel service to demonstrate roller bearing benefits for both freight and passenger service.  The Timken engine was finished in a beautiful green with gold pin striping. The NP 2626 was possibly in two color schemes, standard black, and possibly the grey boiler scheme.  With this engine's history and touring much of the America, it would be an engine that would be at home on most model layouts and is a beautiful engine as well. This engine is only currently available in brass and this would be a unique engine and not that far off production wise from Bachmann's current offerings.  One can read more about Four Aces in Frey and Schrenk's book "Northern Pacific Super Steam Era".  Steve

the Bach-man

Dear Steve,
I'll pass along that idea.
I like it!
the Bach-man

trainman203

"The Timken" was a very historic piece that should've been preserved. But then, how many other incredibly historic classes of engines did not survive. Like the New York Central Hudson and Niagara, the SP 4–8–2, or anything off of the Missouri Pacific.