News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Hawthorne village

Started by AlastairMi1EMT, December 11, 2023, 08:23:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlastairMi1EMT

Hi, I am looking for help and/or information please.

I have purchased the Hawthorne Village Switchman Santa accessory on eBay, while it was listed as BNIB it has arrived with no instructions and I cannot get it to do anything other than light up the lamp post and a glow from inside!

I have been unable to locate any info on Google, just multiple adverts to buy the same item, so I am hoping someone here has either instructions they could scan and post, or a link to where I can obtain a copy?

I believe there should be some sort of light and/or sound sensor and that Santa should open the door, but I cannot find how to trigger this?

Thank you in advance for any info/advice

Alastair

Terry Toenges

You're probably going to get warned about the pig in the poke from another member. :D
From EBay - "From the railroad accessory village collection, lights up, santa comes out of door and goes back in!..."
From ETSY - "This Switchman Santa has...   ...and a motion opening door with Santa coming out the building."
This is from Hawthorne Village - "...You'll be delighted with all the special features in future issues too, from a switching station with a Santa who pops out as your train passes by..."
It sounds like it is motion activated. Did you try moving a hand in front of it or set it in front of your track and run the train?
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

I wish I would not have seen it. I just poked the pig and bought one from EBay. That will go well with other stuff on the layout. If I put it behind the trolley track, Santa will come out every time the trolley passes. (I hope.) The one I bought said "new in box".
Feel like a Mogul.

AlastairMi1EMT

Hi Terry, thanks for the reply.  It does appear to be motion triggered, although some other adverts claim an audio trigger as well, there is a light sensor in the base of the tree beside the door, but no variation of torchlights, moving objects in front, or blocking/unblocking with my finger has any effect, and shouting, whistling, clapping etc do not trigger any audio reaction either?

If yours appears with instructions, please post a scan of them here.

Best regards,

Alastair

Terry Toenges

OK. I'll post instructions if I get them. I'll let you know how mine works.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

I received it  in the mail this morning. No instructions. I can't get it to anything either other than light up.
On the lower right there is something in the tree like an "electric eye". There is something in the stone wall next to it. It looks like the head of a Philips screwdriver.
Are you using battery or a power supply? I wonder if I try a power supply if it would work. Now I just have batteries in it. I don't have a 3 volt 300 milliamp power supply to try it.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

I see Hawthorne Village sells a power supply for it for $18. Maybe I'll try that. Might be something else I could use the supply for if this doesn't work.
Feel like a Mogul.

AlastairMi1EMT

Hi Terry,

Thank you, your description exactly matches my unit with the same effects or lack off.

I will have to hunt to see if I can get a power supply as well, it 'could be' that the extra power is needed for the movement?

I will let you know if I succeed

Best regards, Alastair 

Terry Toenges

I ordered the power supply. I don't know if I will get it before Christmas. Shipping says between 21st and 26th. I ordered it from Amazon. I wondered if two batteries were enough to make it move.
I was even talking to Santa to get him to come out in case it was sound activated. I waved my hand in front of it. I put a piece of track in front of it and rolled a car back and forth.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BS68XZ28/ref=pe_386300_440135490_TE_simp_item_image
Feel like a Mogul.

trainman203

AlastairMi1EMT

I got a bench power supply, set it to 3V and connected it up, heeding the warning to remove batteries first.

Despite plenty of power available, it only drew current for the led lights and still no movement, I am beginning to suspect it wasn't quite 'brand new in box' so will raise with the seller to see what happens?

The warning about damage if powered by both batteries and power supply ' may' have happened in it's past?

Depending on outcome with eBay, the next move may be to try to open it up and check components?

Will keep you updated

Terry Toenges

Shucks. I was hoping the power supply was the answer. I doubt that I would know anything if I opened it up.
Feel like a Mogul.

trainman203

I dont buy locomotives or power items of any kind on eBay or used in any form unless it's from someone I know.  I do have a beautiful locomotive I bought remotely from someone I never met, but was acquainted with digitally, and off of eBay probably a dozen and a half great pieces of rolling stock no longer available anywhere else.

Ralph S

I will make a slight modification to what 'trainman" stated.  I personally do not buy any locomotive from e-bay new or used.  For one they cost too much, and you would have to deal with the electrical issues, if any.  With that said, I do and still buy EZ track DC switch versions.  I do not buy the DCC switch versions from E-bay.   Yes, I do own some DCC switches, but they came from a dealer, where I drove 150 miles to buy.  I do buy none electrical items such as freight cars, maybe some lighted cars but that's it.  I do not wish to troubleshoot someone else's electrical problem.  It's bad enough when you have to troubleshoot some brand new electrical components directly from the dealer or manufacturer.   

Now back to the topic: I went through the Bachmann catalog 2023 and did not see any reference to "Hawthorne village".  Is this a separate Bachmann product or associated with Bachmann?  What am I missing?

I'm asking this since I just posted a train crossing topic in HO
https://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,38671.0.html
, and noticed that the winter crossing that I bought from e-bay states its Bachmann but I cannot find this winter crossing in the Bachmann catalog (only the green version in the catalog).  A search in Google found this winter crossing on Bradford Exchange.
https://www.bradfordexchange.com/products/1409121085_winter-train-accessory.html[/url
Again what am I missing?

Terry Toenges

This Switchman Santa isn't a Bachmann item but Bachmann makes trains and accessories for Hawthorne Village  through Bradford Exchange.
https://www.bradfordexchange.com/search/Hawthorne+Village+Trains.html?ta=y
Feel like a Mogul.