News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New But Old

Started by mindo389, December 18, 2023, 05:58:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mindo389

New member here... I bought an N gauge setup around 35 years ago. Family came along and I put the equipment away, but kept the wooden layout platform. The track, locomotives and rolling stock were put into a box. Finally, moving to a new house and retirement came around and I have time to put things back together. I found the track has a bit of corrosion, the rail joiners/connectors need replacement and the transformers are still good. I have an old Bachmann locomotive that works ok, but needs some TLC and cleaning. Luckily, the brass isn't green, just dull. I was looking online for a match for this locomotive but there's probably been changes in the past 3 decades. How can I tell what locomotive I have? The closest match is B23-7/B30-7. The body shell is a yellow/red Southern Pacific, number 7030 on the side of the cabin. The shell is a bit battered along the bottom, but mostly in good condition. Are there any parts, such as the motor, gears, etc. that can still be had?
Thanks,
Charles
mindo389

Terry Toenges

For what you might spend in parts, this might be a better deal. I don't know if it's a pig in the poke or not.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/295650910996?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28
Feel like a Mogul.

mindo389

Yep, that's the one... I will buy myself a new locomotive for Christmas. Not only has the technology changed, so have the costs! But my kids are grown and have jobs, so why not!

trainman203

Used locomotives are always a pig in a poke.  Beware