News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Annie runs briefly and stops

Started by Crummett1, December 20, 2023, 10:57:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crummett1

I put down a circle of new Piko r7 track and attached my mrc 1400 controller. Ran for a couple rounds and it would slow and then stop. It will restart and go about halfway and then stop again. I always turn the controller off before changing direction,and when it stops like this I close the throttle and then restart. Ideas?

wraujr

I wonder if your 1400 is underpowered and you are tripping out the thermal protection, that then resets when it cools.
Your pack if 0-14V capable of 13VA (this includes any accessories)
My experience with measuring 4-6-0's is that they require 0.7 to 0.8A while your pack's max output at 14V is 0.9A (maybe as specs are loosy-goosy).
Might need a more powerful pack.

wraujr

You can also try this as a 4-6-0 starts running at about 4V.
Take a fresh 9V battery (yes, like the ones in smoke alarms)
Take wires off the power pack and connect to battery.
An alkaline 9V has about 550 mAH capacity and should run your loco for about 20 minutes, give or take.
This allows you to show its not the 4-6-0.

Of course, if you have multimeter, monitor voltage on the track to see if power pack is cutting out on overload.

Loco Bill Canelos

Power Supplies like the MRC 1400, and the small power supplies that come with Bachmann Large scale sets and many others have the thermal circuit breaker noted above.
In your case it would seem that the Annie is heating the breaker tripping it.  Then it resets when the overload is removed.  Then repeats. the more you try to use it the worse it gets because it cools down just enough to reset but is still warm enough to over heat more quickly and trips faster.  As the breaker gets tripped more and more the weaker it gets.  I can't remember when the MRC 1400 first came out but is pretty old and may have been used a lot before you tried using it with the Annie.

My recommendation is to get a power supply rated at 2 Amps or more, and preferably new or hardly used.  If you plan to use trains longer than 4 cars and the layout has grades your MRC 1400 is too weak for sure.

Christmas Cheers and Beers!

Loco Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Crummett1

Thank you sir. I actually had thought thar might bethe issue👍🚂🚂🚂