Question Regarding Programming Locomotives

Started by ferroequinologist, December 19, 2023, 10:01:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ferroequinologist

Hello,
I recently had the benchwork for my HO scale model railroad layout built, and after laying the track (Kato Unitrack), started programming and testing my locomotives using the Bachmann EZ Command Controller. Two of them (a Bachmann 2-8-0 and a Bachmann 0-6-0) were programmed and run just fine, but the third engine (a Bachmann Spectrum 4-6-2) doesn't seem to respond when I try programming it. I've tested this locomotive on my model railroad club's layout (which uses DigiTrax) and it runs well there, but doesn't respond on my own layout when I try programming it. I'm wondering, then, how I can resolve this issue. Thank you very much.

Ralph S

This may or may not help.
Bachmann's EZ Command controller (44933 and 44902) can only acknowledge a CV that's 0 thru 9, single digit.  Digitrax and other controllers can handle basically double-digit CV's, 10 and above.  My suggestion is that you need to reprogram your locomotive to a single CV digit, that is 0 thru 9.  The Bachmann controller can handle single digits but not double digits.

Hope this helps....

trainman203

0-9 on the EZ command is either a function or a changeable address, not a CV.  EZ command cannot alter CV's.  It is a purely introductory to DCC unit meant for operation and nothing else.  It can change locomotive addresses, but that's all.

I don't know what the OP meant by "programming," but to truly "program" a locomotive a more advanced DCC system is required.

Once you get an advanced DCC system, you will be amazed at what you can do with the actual CVs on those engines.  Changing whistles, balancing sound volumes, motor control that can be adjusted down to an ant crawl, on and on.  Your life will never be the same.

jward

Since the locomotive works well at the club on a full featured DCC system, why not try doing a decoder reset there. Take advantage of the Digitrax system's capabilities to do what your EZ command can't do. Start with a decoder reset, then program a single digit address at the club, then try your locomotive on your home layout.

I have to ask though, what is different about the locomotive that doesn't work, as opposed to those that do. If you can figure that out, it will help you solve the problem.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Ralph S

QuoteQuote: "0-9 on the EZ command is either a function or a changeable address, not a CV.  EZ command cannot alter CV's."
Owning three Bachmann EZ controller's , I was trying not to confuse the single bachmann EZ command operator but instead by being basic to the Bachmann EZ command operation.

The quote above is not exactly correct.  Your wording of function, changeable address is actually a CV.  A CV or "Configuration Variable" is an address.    In the case of changing a locomotive address, you are actually changing the very first CV or CV1.  The Bachmann controller can change only that CV.  The problem most Bachmann EZ command owners find out the hard way is that the Bachmann EZ controller can only change a single digit of the CV1 address.   Other controllers have the ability to change from a single to a double digit.  Once that double digit CV is entered, the Bachmann EZ  may or not recognize it.

What the originator didn't understand is that the model club's controllers can recognize that double digit, and he may not have understood why that same locomotive would not operate on his EZ command layout. 

And yes, I believe that once a double digit is entered into CV1 address the Bachmann EZ command sometimes can reset that CV to 03, but only if it's prefix number is 0.  If the CV address is greater than 10 or above, definitely the Bachmann EZ command sometimes will acknowledge that it changed it, but in actuality it does not.   It may go to 13 if it was originally 15.
Again the 13 is not recognized by the EZ command.  EZ commands recognizes that CV1 as 00 thru 09 only.   

It you want to read more about CV's check here.
https://www.locgeek.com/2013/07/dcc-cvs-configuration-variables-explained/
or
https://dccwiki.com/Address_Range

I agree that the locomotive decoder should be reset at the model club, basically to remove any prefix number 1 or above that.

Hopefully, I didn't confuse everyone.