Bachmann 10’ Remote Switch Extension Wire Problem

Started by msirt, December 21, 2023, 09:49:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

msirt

Hello,
 Is anyone else experiencing this? I just opened a package of the extension wire to operate a remotely placed Bachmann right hand turnout, but the plugs at the turnout end don't mate. The "male" jack's prongs are of the "wide" sort and do not match the "female" receptacle jack. Hence the connection won't seat. I've tested the turnout's function by direct connection to the toggle unit and all works perfectly. This was purchased from a model train shop. I would like to be refunded the purchase price. Who would be responsible for the refund, the shop or Bachmann? I think the latter, because their product does not function as advertised.
Does anyone have experience of use of this extension that does work?

trainman203

I'm pretty sure that the wire you bought is red and intended to connect to track power rather than track switch. Put the catalog number up here and we'll know for certain.  I've used them in several places to conduct power to remote track locations to counteract voltage drop.  If that is what it is, I'd keep it. You can connect it to the back unused terminal on the terminal re-railer and run it to another terminal re-railer across the layout to ensure full voltage remotely from the main location.

All of my switches are manual, so I am not able to speak to which catalog item powers remote switches.

msirt

Nope. The extension wire I bought is the green 3-lead one. However, I finally got it working by really jamming the 2 plugs together. Still, the union is not perfectly seated. The connection is physically weak, with about a 3/8" gap remaining between the plugs.

Those Bachmann plugs in general come in 2 varieties:  wider or narrower male prongs. The green wire male end has the wider prongs. It seems the receptacle is gauged for the narrower variety.

Len

I've run into this 'wide plug' problem and just used an emery board to sand the plugs down to fit the narrower socket slots.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Penn1974

I had that problem on the green extension cables for switches a few years back. The solution for me was to plug the cables together as far as they would go and then use a 6" or 8" pair of channellock pliers and position the jaws so that each jaw was on one of the black plastic plugs and slowly squeeze together to seat the plugs all the way until both black plugs touched. Never had a problem.

Ralph S

Here's my two cents: 
The quality control on the plastic molding isn't the best.  So when I ran across this problem, I shaved the molded plastic just so it would fit into the connection, and still be tight. From my point of view it's the plastic molding and the switch connection's molded plastic that holds the connection together. 

Hope that helps.